This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I hope everyone had a chance to celebrate Earth Day on April 22nd. The environment has certainly been a hot topic in the news as of late. In my home state of Minnesota, one of the most discussed environmental topics is the protection of the Boundary Waters. Located in northeastern Minnesota, the Boundary Waters area contains 20% of the all of the freshwater in the entire National Forest Ecosystem. These waters provide a habitat for threatened and endangered species and provide over 17,000 jobs that support local families and businesses. Unfortunately, sulfide-ore copper mining is an impending threat to the Boundary Waters.

To begin, here’s a little bit of science as to why this is a problem. Mining results in acid drainage which increases water acidification. As the water becomes more acidic, it is harder for species to survive. Mining also increases mercury levels in the water; as humans consume fish living in this water, humans are at risk of unsafe levels of mercury in their blood. Finally, the forests, being connected to the streams, lakes, wetlands, and groundwater, would suffer, “Mining activities would disrupt this relationship, resulting in the loss of forest area and native biodiversity.”

Now, here is where this story takes a positive spin. Thankfully, people are using their voices to drive change and advocate for protection against the copper mining. The Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters is a national movement started by Minnesota residents to protect the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and all it has to offer. This June, a group of students ages 15 to 22 will travel to Washington DC to bring greater awareness to their cause. Each advocate has to come up with a three-minute pitch on why the Boundary Waters should be protected; the students will then present their speeches to legislators. Sustainability and taking care of our earth is a vital issue; it is inspiring to see my generation taking a stand and taking action. Although I have never been to the Boundary Waters, I hope to visit soon. I am passionate about the environment and, of course, Minnesota and its over 10,000 lakes. If you are interested in learning more about the Campaign to Save the Boundary Waters, you can visit https://www.savetheboundarywaters.org/

Images: 1, 2 & 3 (by EllieMcConville), 4

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Meg Pryor

Notre Dame '22

Meg is an editor for the Notre Dame chapter. Major: Psychology Minor: Journalism