Back to London: A Review of Mary Poppins Returns

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Oh, it’s a jolly holiday with Mary, isn’t it? Winter break is a prime time to see a movie, and I saw Rob Marshall’s Mary Poppins Returns–not once, but twice. This movie is upbeat, colorful, and all around very well-done. Here are five elements of the movie that I believe are critical to this movie’s success.

Emily Blunt Not only does Emily Blunt have an outstanding voice—the cherry on top of many of the musical numbers—but she has spot-on poise that allows her to naturally pull off her in-charge-yet-spontaneous nanny role. Some people believe that Blunt had big shoes to fill after Julie Andrews’ performance in the 1960s; I agree—very few people can compete with the talent of Andrews. I am happy to report that Blunt is one of those contenders. The actress pulled out all of the stops and gave an incredible performance.

Lin-Manuel Miranda Even though Lin-Manuel Miranda has a fake British accent (he hails from New York City,) his voice is an excellent complement to Blunt’s. His fun spirit fits the charm of the movie, and he is a performer that people of all ages can appreciate.

The setting This story is set in 1935, approximately 25 years after the first Mary Poppins. For this reason, the wardrobe and architecture of London in this movie is different than that of the original. That said, it still captures the spirit of the busy and charming metropolis, even though it is during the Great Depression. This deviation from the original story allows the current film the freedom to depict events with a new flair, without the restraints of trying to be an exact copy of the earlier version.

The Animation Similar to the original Mary Poppins movie, the new version incorporates animation into the traditional scenes. The many vibrant colors and fun characters depicted in animation are outstanding. The quality is obviously much better than the original, given the improvements in technology, making the characters really pop out of the screen.

The Music This work contains the perfect combination of upbeat and slow tunes. I personally believe this a great balance of musical styles. The songs are also inspiring. “The Place Where Lost Things Go,” is a sweet way for Mary Poppins to help the children with the loss of their mother. “Nowhere to Go But Up” set with balloons, reminds us to be our true selves and, when we do so, life will go upwards. One of my favorites was “A Cover is Not the Book.” As stated in the title, this song is a message to not judge a book by its cover. In addition to featuring the legendary Dick Van Dyke, the movie also includes Meryl Streep and Colin Firth. Their spirit adds an extra spoonful of sugar to an already solid cast.

If you are looking for a movie to enjoy during this chilly winter season, I encourage you to watch Mary Poppins Returns and enjoy the music and magic that comes with it.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Meg Pryor

Notre Dame '22

Meg is an editor for the Notre Dame chapter. Major: Psychology Minor: Journalism