This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Whenever there is a wonderful scent around me, I instantly feel happier. There’s a certain comfort found in the aromas of lotions, perfumes and even flowers. A few years ago, I discovered aromatherapy, and I have not stopped using essential oils since. There are so many scents that can be combined to create even better smells. The best part about essential oils is that they have many benefits such as soothing anxiety and depression–they can also be used to ease pain and allow for better sleep. Aromatherapy can work with a diffuser or even by mixing the oils into skincare products.  Beginners may not know where to start, so here is a list of ten essential oils that are commonly used and what they are known for typically:

Lavender

Lavender can help with stress relief, anxiety, agitation and sadness. It helps to calm people down and make them feel more relaxed. Lavender works for better sleep because it is a calming agent.

Rosemary

Rosemary is effective to help self-esteem, fatigue and it acts as a memory enhancer. It further increases brain power by boosting energy. Rosemary allows the brain to feel free and open.

Lemon

Lemon naturally energizes people–even when it is used as an essential oil. The scent brightens your day by improving your mood through relieving anxiety. Lemon also works as stress relief and helps with sadness, fatigue and memory.

Jasmine

Jasmine assists with anxiety and fear, self-esteem, fatigue and sadness. This essential oil works well for the harder times that plague us with stress. It can relax people and help them to push past rough patches.

Orange

Orange adds zest to our lives by decreasing anxiety. It is a scent that brings some flavor but is not overly pungent. Orange takes away stress and sadness while helping self-esteem.

Clary Sage

As young people, we don’t often think about concepts such as blood pressure, but we should still monitor it to make sure its levels don’t get too high. Clary sage can reduce blood pressure which may provide many health benefits. When humans are stressed, their blood pressure increases and can cause a slew of health problems. Clary sage can fight against rising blood pressure and help combat sadness, grief, fatigue and feelings of isolation.

Peppermint

Peppermint wakes people up and can sooth stomach aches. It has natural properties that fight fatigue. People feel more awake with this essential oil which ultimately builds a higher performing memory.

Bergamot

Bergamot assists with stress relief, anxiety, self-esteem, fatigue and feelings of isolation. It creates a chill headspace for people who use it as an essential oil. Bergamont has also helped to boost moods and make people feel lighter by reducing levels of stress and anxiety.

Cinnamon

Cinnamon can be used as a spice and makes people more aware. This essential oil helps increase concentration and brings focus to its users. It creates alertness and allows people to be more mindful, which is helpful when you need to focus for college classes. 

Eucalyptus

Headaches are common in college environments. People have headaches because of dehydration, stress, lack of eating or sickness. Eucalyptus helps prevent headaches and fight congestion. This essential oil also combats illnesses and can lead to an open mind and mental clarity.

Aromatherapy can help with many aspects of your life. People are always stressed and anxious, but it is nice that those feelings could be somewhat subsided with aromatherapy. Just a quick note for all Notre Dame students: there are essential oils in McWell on the second floor of St. Liam’s. Go in, grab some strawberries and relax for a few minutes.

Indonesia Brown

Notre Dame '22

I am a political science and psychology major with a minor in journalism. I am originally from South Bend and am the 4th generation to live in my current house. I love all animals and I have a dog at home named Enzo.