Wellness

Aromatherapy: A Holistic Approach to Healing and Relaxing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Take a deep breath and relax. In the craziness of today’s world, it is important to find what helps you to de-stress. One of my favorite ways to calm down is to put a few drops of essential oils onto my wrist. Aromatherapy offers an immediate remedy; I seem to breathe deeper and my heart rate seems to slow down from the moment I inhale the welcoming scent. Not only are there scientific benefits to using oils, they can also be quite fun to try.

The oils offer an easy way to completely change your mood by allowing you to escape your present setting and immerse yourself in a totally different environment–all through the power of smell. The sense of smell is one of the vital ways that we interact with our surroundings. The ability to smell allows us to ward off danger (smelling a fire, for example) and also trigger our memory (such as being reminded of lovely family holidays with the scent of gingerbread cookies filling the house.) It is quite easy to utilize our sense of smell to improve both our productivity and our ability to relax.

Aromatherapy is the practice of using essential oils from plants to improve physical and psychological health. Research has shown that: “Essential oils used in aromatherapy trigger responses in the brain that send healing to the body. These oils can balance out hormone levels, heal digestive orders, and dramatically reduce symptoms of depression and anxiety.”

Aromatherapy is particularly popular because it relies on natural ingredients—the scents are those found in nature. These are simple fragrances from the earth—the oils are not funky, overpowering combinations with lots of added chemicals. Your body recognizes the natural aspects of essential oils and appreciates it. Because the oils are pure, they are potent; a little dab on your wrist is all you need to transform you out of your crowded, stuffy dorm room to a field of herbs and flowers or a forest full of trees.

The power of aromatherapy is very individualized; each person needs to experiment to determine what works for him or her. Thankfully, essential oils are sold in a variety of forms and scents, offering something for everyone’s tastes. I especially like oils that come in tubes that are small enough to fit in a purse or backpack; these oils serve as an easy way to calm down on the go. Another key part of aromatherapy is finding what scent works for you. I am a huge fan of mint—it seems to improve my mood and awaken me. I also appreciate the refreshing effects of citrus and the soothing effects of lavender.

If you ever need a fast and natural way to boost your energy or calm you down, give essential oils a try. Your body will welcome the soothing aroma, helping you to feel refreshed, empowered, and ready to tackle the rest of your day.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Meg Pryor

Notre Dame '22

Meg is an editor for the Notre Dame chapter. Major: Psychology Minor: Journalism