The Arm Workout Bible

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Now that we’ve gotten over our fear of lifting in the free weight section, the next step is to
actually do it. You’ve just finished your killer cardio workout (the only way to burn fat is to
break a sweat!) and now you’re finished for the day. Right? Wrong! Head over to those wall-to-
wall mirrors, pick up a set of dumbbells, and do some work. As I mentioned before, you won’t
get toned on cardio alone (but it is essential to burning away fat so that you can get toned), so
let’s progress to the next step of your workout.

Before we go any further, allow me to dissuade the myth that lifting weights will cause you to
bulk up. As a female, it’s physically impossible for you to ever reach male bicep diameter status,
even if you can deadlift twice your body weight. The key to achieving that toned, sculpted look
is to lift with a lower weight but to do a higher number of reps. Stick with the Rule of 3’s: three
sets of each exercise, with 15-20 repetitions per set. Use weights that you find challenging (8,
10, 12, 15, 20 lbs) – but not impossible – to complete all three of your sets. Remember, this isn’t
supposed to be easy!

It’s also important to know which muscle groups to work and when. For optimum results, work
antagonistic muscle groups on opposite days. For example, lift biceps and triceps on alternating
days. To avoid fatigue, try working shoulders and triceps together. Give those muscle groups
time to recover by working your back and biceps the next day (or the day after).

Below are some staple arm exercises that yield great results:

Biceps
Bicep curl. This standard exercise will have your biceps looking lean and strong in no time.
Use a 10, 12, or 15 lb dumbbell. Make sure you keep your elbows in line with your forearm and
bicep, and when you release your forearm it should form a 90° angle with your bicep. Alternate
arms between sets.

Make it harder. Instead of using dumbbells, try a barbell. Double the weight of a single dumbbell
that you use to do bicep curls, and add 10 lbs to this. Your hands should be shoulder-width apart
on the bar. Curl the barbell using both arms as you would for a bicep curl.

Back
Dumbbell bent over row: Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold two dumbbells at
your sides. Your palms should be facing behind you. Bend your knees slightly and push your
hips back. Now bend forward at the hips but keep your back straight. Let the weights hang
below your shoulders. Pull the weights straight up to your sides and bend your elbows. Your
arms should end in a 90° angle. Keep your torso – but not your back – bent throughout the entire
exercise!

Make it harder: Add more weight and up your number of reps. For an extra challenge, alternate
one set of these between each set of bicep curls. For this as well as additional back exercises,
check out this website below.

Triceps
Tricep extension: Stand with your back straight and feet hip-width apart. Holding a single
dumbbell with both hands, extend your arms above your head so that your elbows are straight.
Dip the dumbbell behind your head until your forearms make 90° angles with your triceps. Keep
your elbows parallel to one another.

Make it harder: Up your weight by 5 lbs.

Shoulders
Lateral raises: With a dumbbell in each hand (try 5-8 lbs if you’re new to these), stand with
your feet shoulder-width apart and your arms hanging at your sides. With your palms facing the
ground, raise both arms to just below the height of your shoulders. That’s one rep – now do 14
more, and two more sets.

Make it harder: Alternate sets in between sets of tricep extensions. Additionally, you can
alternate raising your arms in front of you (keep them parallel and do not raise above your
shoulder height) with raising them laterally.

Work these exercises into your workout routine and you’ll have nicely chiseled arms in
no time. Feel free to poke around the websites listed above for more ideas, too. The key is
variety – switch up your weight and number or reps for each exercise weekly to avoid muscle
memorization, which will cause you to plateau.

And last, but certainly not least, it’s important to keep in mind that muscle weighs more than fat.
Remember that weight is just a number, and losing weight after you’ve been working out for an
extended period of time doesn’t necessarily mean that you’re “fit.” Try ditching the scale and
measuring your progress by how your clothes are fitting you. Adding muscle to your physique
will keep you burning calories all day long, not to mention the fact that it will give you that lean,
trimmed look you’ve been striving for!
Alex is a senior at the University of Notre Dame who has a passion for running. If you can't find her training for her next half marathon (or marathon, if she's feeling ambitious), you will probably find her globe trotting, browsing Lululemon's amazing workout clothing collection, or frantically cramming for her next exam. Alex has just recently been getting into meditation and yoga...stay tuned for updates! Namaste, ladies.
AnnaLee Rice

Notre Dame

AnnaLee Rice is a senior at the University of Notre Dame with a double major in Economics and Political Science and a minor in PPE. In addition to being the HCND Campus Correspondent, she is editor-in-chief of the undergraduate philosophy research journal, a research assistant for the Varieties of Democracy project, and a campus tour guide.  She believes in democracy and Essie nailpolish but distrusts pumpkin spice lattes because they are gross.