Almost October: Predictions for the MLB Post-Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

I know football season is underway and I’m all for cheering for the boys of fall, but we can’t forget about the boys of summer just yet.

October isn’t just the season of PSLs; it’s also MLB post-season! It can be hard to keep up after hundreds of regular season games, but don’t worry, I’ve got you covered with some predictions for the 2015 post-season.

If you know nothing about baseball I might suggest reading this first. I’ll give the sparknotes of how the postseason works though.

Between the American and National League the top team from each division (East, West and Central) is guaranteed to go to the post-season. To fill in the 4th spot in each bracket, the two teams with the best record behind the division champs play each other in a single game to determine the wildcard. Then in both leagues, the No. 1 seed plays the wildcard and the No. 2 and No. 3 seeds play each other in the Division Series, which is best-of-five. The winner of these move on to play each other in the League Championship Series, which is best-of-seven. The winner of the ALCS and NLCS then play each other in the best-of-seven World Series.

Pretty simple?

Disclaimer: This was written on September 17th. The number of games behind is subject to change as the regular season finishes, so don’t blame me if you’re placing all your bets on this article. If you want to keep accurate info, I suggest watching the last few games of your favorite team, which is what I’ll be doing to procrastinate…

American League

East Division: As of today, the Yankees are only three games behind the Toronto Blue Jays, but given the number of games left, this gives the Blue Jays are pretty secure in their AL East title.

Central Division: Kansas City is basically crushing everyone. The underdogs from last season have officially made themselves a force to be reckoned with. Ten games ahead of the Minnesota Twins means they are definitely going to the Division Series and, if the regular season is any indicator, they might be in the World Series for a 2nd year in a row.

West Division: Texas is having quite the year (not counting their 38-3 defeat against Notre Dame of course). It will be a duel between the Rangers and the Astros. Even though the rangers are ahead, it’s only by 1.5 games and the Astros were ahead most of the summer, so I’m placing my imaginary bets on them. The Angels have an itty bitty chance of winning the division, but most likely they won’t be playing this October.

So smooth. 

Wildcard: Now the fun part. The Yankees are favored to win the wildcard game versus either the Rangers or Astros; whoever loses the West Division title. Since it’s winner-takes-all, though, one can never be sure. We also can’t forget the scrappy Minnesota Twins, who aren’t out of the realm of possibility for the second wild card spot.

It’s awfully hard to root against Jay-Z and Queen B’s fave team. 

National League

East Division: As the New York Mets have made the biggest comeback from the beginning of the season, the Washington Nationals have fallen far, far down. With a near perfect end to the season they might catch the Mets, but odds are they’re done.

Central Division: A warning, this paragraph is pretty biased considering I LOVE THE CARDINALS SO FLIPPING MUCH. Even if it they weren’t from my hometown, the Cardinals still kick a$$ almost every year. The last several series haven’t been the best, but almost every October is a “Red October” where I come from. Plus, the Pirates are still 4.5 games behind, so I’ll probably get to enjoy watching my boys for another month.

How could you not love these guys?!?

West Division: The only two teams who still could win in the West are the Dodgers and Giants. It isn’t looking good for last year’s World Series Champs though. The Dodgers are up 7.5 games, which at this point in the season nearly guarantees the NL West title.  

Wild Card: I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but it looks like the Cubs might actually get into the post season. I know, gasp. They’ll probably be the second wild card choice behind the Pirates, but with the way the Pirates (who have Andrew McCutchen, arguably the best player in the league) have been playing, I think it’s safe to say the wild card game is the farthest they’ll go. If they make it into the World Series, well then I guess miracles do happen.

I know. The Cubs didn’t completely blow it. I’m just as shocked as you are. 

As for my final predictions? The Royals will beat out the Blue Jays for the ALCS title while the Cardinals win against the Dodgers in the NLCS. This would mean an all-Missouri World Series where obviously the Cardinals would dominate and become the champs. Now for those of you not from Missouri, I wouldn’t worry. This is mostly wishful thinking on behalf of a native Missourian. In all reality, the Cardinals could crush any one of these other teams.

Whatever happens, though, I’ll be tuned in this October. After all, it’s the American thing to do.

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1 (writer provided), 2, 3, 45, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Sources: 1

Abby Piper

Notre Dame

Abby is a senior studying English, French and Journalism at the University of Notre Dame but remains obsessed with her hometown St. Louis. She loves running, water skiing, writing, watching Christmas movies all year long and The O.C.'s Seth Cohen.