self-love
self-love
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Wellness > Mental Health

7 Ways to Keep Your Mental Health in Check During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

In these uneasy, stress-inducing times, it is critical that we are taking care of our mental health. Emotions of anxiety or uneasiness are completely valid, and I want to share some helpful mechanisms to help keep my mental health in check during this tough time:

Exercise

Exercise is always beneficial for your mental health. Whether this is talking a walk around your neighborhood or doing yoga, I have been loving incorporating some type of movement into my day. Not only does it give me something to do, but I always feel accomplished and proud after completing my workout. Especially during these rather monotonous days, moving around and lifting your heart rate is extremely helpful. It also helps take my mind off of any anxieties I may be feeling and focus on being present with myself, especially within nature. 

Journaling

Journaling has been super therapeutic for me this past month. I have so many thoughts running through my mind and writing them down really helps me sift through them and release them. I also think that especially during this uneasy historical time, it will be very interesting to look back on your current thoughts and how you got through this tough time.

Reading

Sometimes to ease my mind, I just need to focus on something else. Now that I have more time on my hands, reading has been very beneficial for my mental health. It takes my mind off of the world and allows me to escape into a different, often more positive, narrative. You can obviously learn so much from every book, so I often find myself picking up new perspectives and ideas about life that help me better understand myself and the world around me. 

Talking with family/friends

Talking through stressful and negative thoughts can help bring more clarity, support, and empathy during these confusing times. It is completely normal to feel anxious and stressed, and most people are feeling similar emotions. Talking to my friends and family about the current state of the world and how I feel about it, or just life in general, has really helped me feel less alone and realize that my emotions are completely valid. I also gain different perspectives from my friends and family that help make me more hopeful for better times ahead. 

Start a project

With more time on our hands, I have really enjoyed trying out different projects and hobbies I would not usually have time for. One project I have picked up is painting. Art in general is so great for mental health as it allows one to express themselves in a different form, and definitely occupies my entire brain so that there is no room for negative thoughts. I also feel proud and accomplished after completing paintings which is a great feeling. It is the perfect time to start a new project or pick up a new hobbie, and your mental health will surely thank you for it.

Take a drive

Though there are not a ton of options for how to leave your house, driving around my town has been a great way for me to de-stress. I love travelling to beautiful lookout points, cool neighborhoods, and just visiting some of my favorite spots in my town. There really isn’t much better than driving around and blasting music. I highly recommend it. 

Go out in nature

Nature is always a mood lifter. Even if you just sit outside for a little, the sun, beautiful plants, and fresh air can really make a difference for your mental health. I have been loving evening walks around my neighborhood, or just sitting outside for a little fresh air and streching after sitting inside all day. It can definitely make a huge difference and give some peace of mind. 

With extra time on our hands, I think it is important to dedicate some extra time to nourishing our mental health so that when this is all over, we can come out stronger and more confident than ever.

Cristina Ribera

Notre Dame '21

My name is Cristina Ribera and I am a rising junior at Notre Dame. I am originally from San Francisco, but on campus I live in Welsh Family Hall. I am majoring in American Studies and double minoring in Data Science and Innovation & Entrepreneurship. Writing is a passion of mine, so I am very excited to be writing for Her Campus. I have a blog in which I write about mental health, particularly in college, and I have written for Scholastic Magazine about mental health on campus, among other topics. I can’t wait to delve into more exciting topics and share them with such an incredible community!