6 Smartest Purchases a College Girl can Make

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Are the long hours of your summer job bearing down upon you?  Are you beginning to think school was less stressful than summer?  But there is that wonderful little bi-weekly deposit in your bank account.  Emphasis on “little.”  Despite the serious cut into free time, few summer jobs for college students pay handsomely. We’re lucky if they pay at all.

I think we all have that, “My God, I’m poor?!” realization at least once during our college career.  It is quickly followed by the “My God, I’m going to poor for quite a while” realization.

So what. So we don’t need money.  All the rich, middle aged people I know always wistfully describe their broke twenties as “the best years of their life.”  This is not entirely reassuring for most of us, but really it’s going to be okay. 

My brother just graduated from college last month. Post ceremony, he proudly announced that he had packed up all his possessions in the world, and fit them easily into the back of his car.  His entire life in a compact.  This less is more mindset is freeing, and affordable. Each item you own should be especially useful, functional, and of a high quality of construction.  Don’t you want your life to be invested in relationships, and experiences, not wasteful clutter?

Stop shopping, start saving, and keep just what you need.  I compiled this list of what I think the most advantageous items a girl our age should be buying, and owning right now.  (The numbering reflects only the order in which they popped into my head).

1.     Air Mattress – There is no where you cannot travel, and no person you cannot visit when you own an air mattress! Shove it in the back of your car, pack it in your suitcase, and you can spend the night anywhere!  This is a reliable, inexpensive model, that folds up pretty tightly: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Pillow-Airbed-Built–Electric/dp/B000HBILB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1370284092&sr=8-1&keywords=air+mattress

2.     Travel Diary – Essentially a travel diary is a beautifully bound book, with high quality blank paper.  The paper should be so nice, it wouldn’t be weird to call it parchment.  You can fill this with concert ticket stubs, newspaper clippings, postcards, restaurant receipts, and Polaroids,  writing in short descriptions of what each memento is from.

3.     Credit Card – Technically this is not a purchase, actually a means to purchases.  But if you don’t already have a credit card, (I mean your own, and not your parents), you should think of getting one.  Students are offered really great interest rates, don’t pass them by! And it’s hard to buy a car or an apartment when you’re in your mid 20s and have no credit history to speak of.

4.     Sunglasses – Sunglasses have always been a summertime must for lazy days when make up or contacts are just too much effort. But they are also the best way to prevent crows feet, those scary little wrinkles your mom and grandma say are waiting for you too.  Wrinkles around the eyes are caused by squinting, which happens a lot less if you’re wearing sunglasses.  Oh yeah, and sunlight can damage your vision too duh!

5.     Perfect Jeans – Hopefully you already own these.  They should fit just right, and be a versatile dark wash. They should make thighs look thinner, and butts look rounder. There is no reason to not wear perfect jeans five days out of the week.  If you are on the lookout for one of these seemingly mythical pairs, I highly recommend this type of Levi’s. They are in no way jeggings, despite their claim. http://us.levi.com/product/index.jsp?productId=4044346&&cp=3146849.3146884.2898706

6.     Flask – This may seem a bit classless, but hey, we’re college students!  Class is a place we go to, not a quality we possess.  A flask is a wise investment.  Let’s say at the average bar mixed drinks are around $6.  Let’s say you go to two bars in the course of the evening, imbibing 2 beverages at each bar.  This results in $24, plus tax, plus tips, rounding to $30.  That cost more than a dress at Forever 21!  However, if you brought a flask, you could order just one drink at each bar.  Take the drink to the bathroom with you, where you add one to two more shots from your handy flask.  The alcohol in bars is usually watered down anyway.  Now you sip your one drink slowly, and feel the weight of the savings in your pocket.

Emma Terhaar

Notre Dame

I'm a Junior English and Spanish Major. I love to cook, eat, and read. I someday want to be writer of novels, poems, and all things literary.
AnnaLee Rice

Notre Dame

AnnaLee Rice is a senior at the University of Notre Dame with a double major in Economics and Political Science and a minor in PPE. In addition to being the HCND Campus Correspondent, she is editor-in-chief of the undergraduate philosophy research journal, a research assistant for the Varieties of Democracy project, and a campus tour guide.  She believes in democracy and Essie nailpolish but distrusts pumpkin spice lattes because they are gross.