5 New Pop Artists You’re Not Too Cool to Love

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Notre Dame chapter.

Incidentally, they all have really awesome hair and have ditched the whole last-name thing. 

The pop genre has been known to be a “girl’s world”; from the Spice Girls to Katy Perry to hoards of Beliebers. And of course, with anything that seems to be related to girl-culture, there tends to be a negative stigma associated with it. Something about the thought of glittery hair and platform boots have driven both hipsters and mainstreamers away from the pop genre in fear of being “basic” or “conformist” or “feminine”. Whatever. But these eight ladies are taking back the movement and making it unashamedly upbeat and personal, all while proudly donning their neon eyeliner and holographic skater skirts. Their music is their own, and they’ll make you perceive pop in a new way. 

Allie X

In an interview with Popular magazine, Allie X claims that “she’s not interested in being a typical pop star; instead she’s dedicated to maintaining control of her art and image”. The electro-pop artist from Tortonto is a favorite of Katy Perry, and when asked about her name, she says “Growing up, I didn’t relate to the formulas that were taught to me… But when I added X to the equation of my own life, I was given a freedom that wasn’t there before.” 

Recommended song: Hello

Halsey 

She claims to not be a good singer, so I don’t know what that makes the rest of us. Easily one of my favorite lyricists of all time, she never holds back in going against the norm, whether it’s through her songs or her hair color. Also I should mention that she’s a killer performer, and she’s touring with Imagine Dragons right now. Her new album is coming out in August, and to say I’m excited would be a huge understatement. 

Recommended song: “Colors” or “Hurricane”. Or “New Americana”. Don’t make me pick just one! 

Hana

This pink-haired singer moved to Los Angeles when she was 17 and never looked back. This year she went on tour with Grimes and Lana del Rey, and though she doesn’t have that many songs out, she’s looking to put together an EP. She says about her new song, Avalanche, that “I was experimenting with using my voice as the main basis of the song—my voice is what is making the chords of the song. That’s really exciting, because I think the voice is such an alien instrument; we all have one and they all sound different.” Just listen to Avalanche once and you’ll see what she means; she has a pristine voice quality that truly is inhuman. 

Recommended songs: “Clay” or “Avalanche” 

Genevieve 

Genevieve began writing in Chicago, balancing her music with her waitressing job. Now she’s released an EP called Show Your Colors, which she says is full of “…sonic imagery, a blend of organic and synthetic elements with colorful tones and textures.”  Her songs are all about being empowered, as we hear about in “Human Again”, which is about breaking free of the restrictions of living for the approval of others and regaining her identity in result. 

Recommended song: “Show Your Colors”

Shura

British singer Aleksandra Denton, aka Shura, is becoming increasingly popular for her synth-pop singles. Some of her far-off influences include science fiction and visiting the Amazon, and her songs definitely have a distinctive sound (think dials on a space ship), that she would describe as “like an 11-year-old boy with a guitar trying to make music that sounds like Janet Jackson without the vocal ability.” Whatever it is, it’s totally working for her.

Recommended song: “Touch”

No more appologizing for loving girly pop songs, Collegiettes. 

The HCND application is now open! For more information contact Rebecca Rogalski at rebeccarogalski@hercampus.comor Katrina Linden at katrinalinden@hercampus.com

Follow HCND on Twitter, like us on FacebookPin with us, and show our Instagram some love!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5