Your Fall Bucket-List: Evanston Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Fall quarter is definitely a hectic but exciting time. Adjusting from the lazy days or internship craze of summer to the demanding pace of the quarter system can prove challenging. But sometimes, it’s ok, (and necessary!) to stop for a second and enjoy the beautiful campus around us.

We do live on one of Buzzfeed’s top colleges for instagram!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mattortile/scenic-college-campuses-that-were-made-for-instagram

Fall, especially is a great time here in Evanston. The leaves are crispy and colorful, the tailgates are back in swing, and the friends are reunited. This fall, get out and enjoy our campus instead of just tweeting about it!

Here’s 10 things to check off your list before heading home for the winter holidays:

1. Farmer’s Market Outing

Evanston has an amazing Farmer’s Market every Saturday morning from 7:30 am- 1 pm now through November 2!  Go pick up some ingredients for a homemade dinner or just some fresh snacks for your dorm room. Local Farmers and vendors will be there to provide you with everything you need. If you aren’t feeling up to spending too much money just take a stroll through the market with some girlfriends. You can catch up on the events of the week, get some fresh air, and enjoy the great aromas. Or, take your parents this weekend! It’s something fun to do while they’re here and chances are they’ll buy you something (score!).

http://www.cityofevanston.org/evanston-life/farmers-market/

2. Head to a Pumpkin Patch!

Arguably, pumpkin is the single greatest word of fall. You can make pumpkin bread, pumpkin drinks, pumpkin pie, pumpkin cookies, pumpkin soup, and apparently even pumpkin mac and cheese?

http://www.pinterest.com/MomFoodie/pumpkin-recipes-pumpkin/

But before you go pumpkin crazy in your kitchen, take a trip to a pumpkin patch and relive the childhood tradition. Yes, it’s off campus but trips like these are the things you’ll remember! Pick a weekend in advance that works for you and your friends and head over to Pumpkins Chicago! And of course don’t forget to make some Jack-o-Laterns when you get back!

It’s a little less than an hour trip form campus. You can take the purple line to Howard, transfer to the red and get off at Addison. Then you’re just a 5 minute walk away!

Pumpkins Chicago: 3458 North Clark Street, Chicago (Lincoln Park)

Photo from Pumpkins Chicago Website

3. Enjoy a Signature Fall Drink

Whether it’s Starbucks’ classic PSL or Peet’s unique maple latte, fall is all about walking around with a tasty hot drink in hand. Evanston is home to so many coffee shops which all have their own unique take on the season. Make it your goal to hit them all before the quarter ends!

Visit Starbucks, Unicorn Café, Peets, Kafein, Coffee Lab, Argo Tea and all the other Evanston spots!

4.  Get WILD for Northwestern Football!

Football season is one of the defining features of fall quarter. Whether or not you like the game, it’s fun to deck yourself out in purple, hit up some tailgates, and cheer on our cats! Football games are one of the places where you can be with the most Northwestern students at one time. The atmosphere has enough excitement to help you forget about those midterms that are bogging you down. Make it a goal to attend as many home games as you can this season!

Fall is also about NFL Football! Gather with your friends to watch a game or rep your city by rocking cute NFL spirit wear to class!

5.  F is for Fall…and Flannels

Flannels are a must have for fall. Go on a fall themed shopping trip with your friends and stock up on some comfy goods. Some retail therapy does every girl good and walking around in the fresh fall air between stores will be a great way to spend your day.Check out Crossroads or Used for some unique thrift items. Or hit up Urban and the other classics. Make sure you stop at Envy on your trip, the new store that has everything inside under $40!

Check out these looks from Envy! http://www.hercampus.com/schoo…

6.  Fall Picnic on the Lake Fill

It may be a little bit windy outside but this time of the year is the last time you’ll be able to spend extended periods of time outside until the spring. Bundle up in a cute sweater or puffer vest and head to the lake fill with some fall comfort foods. The lake fill view is unbeatable and you can see the multicolored leaves on the trees around you. Bring your friends and use it as a study break on a weekend afternoon!

It’s a fun way to enjoy being outside the natural beauties of our campus. And of course, food makes everything better.

7. Exercise OUTSIDE

Fall is the perfect weather to get your fitness on outdoors! You can sport cute leggings and a pullover without getting too hot while you run or too cold to move. Take the classic temple run up to Baha’i and wander around the streets of Wilmette. The cute little neighborhoods will make you smile as you look at the beautiful trees and cute Halloween decorations. Or, if you’re not much of a runner, take a bike ride along the lake or do some core work on the lakefill! Being outside will make your workout more enjoyable and motivate you to stay in shape.

8.  Appreciate the Colors of Fall

Get off campus for a fun day of the outdoors and take pictures of the beautiful fall scenery. Head to the Chicago Botanical Gardens if you have a car! It’s just 20 minutes from campus. Or, catch a bus.

If you’d rather take the L, head into Lincoln Park! Walk around the Lincoln Park Zoo and Conservatory and get a great view of the city at the same time! Take the purple line express or Red Line to Armitage and then walk over.

Have a fun photo shoot, bring a book and sit outside, or just walk around and enjoy your friends’ company. Whatever you do, these trips are sure to make all your Instragam followers very jealous.

9.  Bring a little bit of Home to the Holidays

Being away from home for the fall holiday season can be sad at times. So bring your family’s traditions of Halloween and Thanksgiving to you! Decorate your dorm room or apartment with holiday decorations and make your place feel homier. Maybe even hang some cute pictures of you and your family from Halloween or Thanksgiving back in the day. CVS sells themed gel stickers for windows or stickers that will brighten any room!

Have your friends over for a mock Thanksgiving dinner if you live in an apartment! Make it potluck and maybe opt for an easy roast chicken if you’re not up to making a full turkey! Bringing a little holiday spirit to Evanston will definitely make this quarter a memorable one.

10.  Get your Fall Chef On!

Sites like Buzzfeed, Pinterest, and Tumblr are packed with unique recipes with fall. Pick some you like and get your friends together to make a meal. You can get your ingredients from the Farmer’s market or from our new store, Trader Joes!

http://www.hercampus.com/school/northwestern/favorite-finds-trader-joes

If you’re living in a dorm room, try some simpler recipes like caramel apples or flavored hot cocoa. Ask your grandma for the recipe of those cookies you’re craving or try out something new!