Why You Should Watch Netflix’s ‘Girlboss’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Netflix recently premiered its new show Girlboss which is loosely based on the autobiography by Sophia Amoruso, founder of Nasty Gal.  The show follows Sophia “Marlowe” as she builds Nasty Gal from her Ebay profile page “Nasty Gal Vintage”. Not only is the show funny, but it also gives viewers something television had been lacking: a sympathetic, determined and self-made woman who creates something from nothing.

Girlboss is the show young women everywhere need, as it displays a young woman defying stereotypes. She often faces sexism in the show, at one point a landlord won’t let her rent office space just because she’s a young looking girl. So, Sophia takes matters into her own hands. While she may come off as a “garbage person” at points, you still love her. Besides, calling her mean names won’t take down the vintage empire she eventually creates.

It all starts when she buys a vintage East West Music Instrument Company parrot jacket for $9 and sells it on Ebay for $1,200. From this, Sophia creates a business the same day she received an eviction notice. Through Sophia, Netflix gives us a female character who is tenacious and passionate, without being super feminine or rejecting femininity. Women need more relatable characters like Sophia, a character who follows her passion and succeeds. How many women in fiction can you think of who do that?

Girlboss is breaking barriers for the kinds of roles women are allowed to play not only in Hollywood but in life. Sophia has a great fashion sense, a supportive female friend and a chip on her shoulder. She is real and really successful. Netflix is finally setting the bar high for what women can do in the world. I’m excited, and you should be too. Check out the first 13 episodes of Girlboss on Netflix now.