Why “The Bold Type” is the Perfect TV Show for Medill Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

If you haven’t binged watch the ten episodes of this brand-new Freeform show, you are missing out on one of the masterpieces of modern television. It may sound ridiculous to say that about a show that isn’t “Game of Thrones” or “Stranger Things,” but trust me: I’m not exaggerating. This show may be geared toward journalists, but its appeal is all-inclusive. “The Bold Type” aligns perfectly with any young adult – especially young women – who are preparing for a future in the real world and wondering what it’s really going to be like.

1. It’s about journalists. 

This one is pretty obvious. “The Bold Type” centers around three ultra-empowering characters, who all work at the same women’s magazine, Scarlet. While Scarlet doesn’t actually exist, the show is based off of Cosmopolitan, and former editor-in-chief Joanna Coles. Another bonus is that the characters aren’t just traditional journalists; the show makes a point to show all facets of working at a magazine. Jane is a writer, Sutton starts off as an assistant, but eventually takes on another job (I won’t spoil what it is), and Kat is the Social Media Director. This way, the show addresses diverse interests, even beyond Medill. 

2. It’s super progressive.

Now, I’m not trying to say everyone in Medill leans left, but there is a general trend for college students (especially on Northwestern’s campus) to have their fair share of liberal ideals. This program, since it aired this past summer, touches on countless relevant political topics. From dealing with the Trump presidency, to the unjust difficulties of our immigration system, “The Bold Type” covers most modern issues that millennials care about, with tact and purpose. 

3. It doesn’t diminish our generation’s ambitions or experiences. 

Many TV shows that focus on young adults largely rely on plot lines of romantic and platonic qualms (or, in the case of “Pretty Little Liars,” homicidal stalkers). While these premises are entertaining, they aren’t always inspiring or realistic. It is so important for television, as a primary and influential form of entertainment, to demonstrate what life is truly like as an unbelievably passionate, driven and oftentimes terrified person entering the adult world.That is why “The Bold Type” brings such a refreshing and necessary perspective into the world. 

4. Two words: female empowerment.

Instead of using women’s rights as a trendy tagline or a minor subplot, “The Bold Type” lives and breathes feminism. The three leads are all female, all hard-working and all career-driven; they don’t exist solely in the show for personal, superficial drama. Every episode has a theme that is complex, heart-wrenching and not always satisfying, which I believe is the true beauty of the show. The issues, tragedies and struggles that burden so many cannot always be solved in the 40-minute run time of an episode, and “The Bold Type” exemplifies that perfectly.

If I haven’t already convinced you that “The Bold Type” is the best young-adult TV show to grace the world in years, then please go watch an episode to judge for yourself. I can’t promise that the show exhibits a flawless brand of feminism, or that it’ll align with every one of your ideals. But, I do know that it is a great starting point for TV shows to start discussions about the issues that really matter to our generation. And that, in itself, makes “The Bold Type” worthy of a chance.

All photos courtesy of @theboldtypetv on Instagram

Elissa Gray

Northwestern '20

Elissa is a Northwestern junior in Medill studying journalism and political science. She was born and raised in Las Vegas, where her love for sushi, avocados, and hot cheetos all began. When she isn't wasting away in the library, she can be found binge-watching romantic comedies on Netflix, and dreaming about her favorite place in the world, Disneyland.