What it’s Like Watching “Gilmore Girls” for the First Time in 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

There are many television shows that can define a childhood or even a generation. Iconic shows include “Friends,” “Buffy The Vampire Slayer” and “Game of Thrones,” to name a few. We are currently in the era of reviving long-ended shows. “Full House” is now “Fuller House” on Netflix, “The X-Files” series is airing a new season and “Boy Meets World” is continuing the story of Cory and Topanga on “Girl Meets World.”

One of the most recent developments in the remake business is yet another fan favorite: “Gilmore Girls.” The beloved series started filming February 2nd for the revival that will consist of four 90-minute episodes, spanning all four seasons, and will air on Netflix.

What I wasn’t really aware of was the amount of fans this show had! I brought up “Gilmore Girls” at our Her Campus staff meeting and all of a sudden I got a bunch of “Oh my gosh, I love that show,” “I just finished it on Netflix” and “If you ever want to talk about it at any time, I’m down.” I guess the renewal is bringing a lot of people out of the woodwork and sucking others, like me, into the fandom.

When the show was originally on, I wasn’t particularly interested, most likely because I was five and living it up by watching “The Powerpuff Girls” and “Sabrina, the Teenage Witch.” But in any case, I have somehow gone through life without Lorelei and Rory. And up until this point, I was okay with that. I lived day to day without even batting an eye to the immense absence of the Gilmore’s movie night antics or the magic that is Stars Hollow.

Life before Gilmore Girls.

“Gilmore Girls” has been on my list to watch for awhile, and after taking forever to finish “Parks and Recreation” (RIP), I finally watched the pilot. Like I said, I was hooked after the first episode. But watching a show that’s 15 years old is a weird experience.

Lorelei is ultimate mom goals. I absolutely love my mom, and we have a similar relationship as far as the “best friends” dynamic goes, but Lorelei seems to be on the same level as Rory at all times. They finish each other’s sentences, know the other like the back of their hands and spend so much time together.

Not many shows nowadays are just for fun. There’s always a drama to it, or they are similar to everything else out there. “Gilmore Girls” has its drama and silly situations, but it’s unique – I have never seen that mother/daughter dynamic on TV before. All they want is the best for each other and that’s the basis for almost the whole storyline. Sometimes for the drama as well.

But let’s talk about those pop culture references! I read about how Lorelei and Rory are the queens of banter, but I didn’t really grasp how many references they could fit in an episode! From Lane’s vast music knowledge to the Bangles concert to old TV show analogies, the Gilmore Girls base their lives off pop culture mentions. As a self-proclaimed fangirl, I respect that.

Another aspect that truly dated the show was the tech! There were block phones, beepers and landlines! Rory got a colorful iBook for her 16th birthday, similar to Elle Wood’s in “Legally Blonde.” They still had extensive CD collections and they rented movies from the actual movie store. We also can’t forget the adult in the house was the only one with a cell phone in the beginning season. A much simpler time indeed.

Lorelei’s style is also out of control, yet very 2000’s. She has professional attire when at work, and for the most part is inconspicuous with her outfit choices. But when she could, Lorelei would dress a little… out there. There were bandanas…

…bucket hats…

…a leopard cowboy hat with a rhinestone encrusted sweater…

…and any and all 2000-esque colorful shirts.

Rory’s look was always more laid back and got more sophisticated as the series went on. But that didn’t excuse her from some fashion faux pas as well.

Watching this show in 2016 also really highlights how different the dating scene was. Rory and Dean met in person, not on a dating app (not that they had those back then). Dean really pursued her and was super invested from the beginning. They called each other’s house when they wanted to talk, but mostly interacted in person. Lorelei went on blind dates and her boyfriends had to leave messages at her house if they wanted to get a hold of her. There were no “read receipts,” or poking on Facebook. Overall, a lot more face-to-face and verbal communication, something we are not really used to. Very different from now and pretty refreshing, actually. Take me back!

It’s not that I have never seen an older show in a modern setting. But it’s always an interesting experience and I have found that I actually prefer it. TV shows nowadays just don’t have roles and plots like they used to during the “Buffy,” “Friends” or “Gilmore Girls” era. The 2000’s were definitely a different time and I’m excited to see how the revival treats 2016 in regards to the Gilmore Girls, their friends and the beloved town of Stars Hollow. 

Alani Vargas

Northwestern

Alani is a native to Chicago with a passion for women's rights, journalism and coffee. She is a senior at Northwestern, majoring in journalism at Medill. She's on the magazine track and studied in Florence last fall, advancing her second major in history. Alani has written for Her Campus national and her Northwestern chapter since freshman year and is now the Editor-in-Chief and CC for her chapter. She's also currently a freelancer for Elite Daily When Alani isn't working, binge watching Supergirl, Buffy or the billion other shows she keeps up with, she enjoys music and geeking out over Star Wars or anything Marvel. Follow Alani on twitter and instagram at @alanimv!