The Weirder Moments of NYFW Fall 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Many of us dream of attending New York Fashion Week, an event notoriously tied to celebrities, luxury and of course, high fashion.  However, amongst the glamour, bizarre things are bound to happen when the rich, famous and flamboyant people of the world get together in one place. Here’s a roundup of some of the weirder things that happened.

We applaud Rebecca Minkoff for attempting to incorporate social media into her shows, but her strategies could have been thought through with a little more care. She encouraged people to use the hashtag #RMFall, displaying these tweets on a large screen next to the runway. However, the stream was live and evidently, unfiltered. People who caught on to the hashtag tweeted such messages as, “Manti Te’o’s girlfriend is actually Kony #Kony2013 #RMFall.” Many of the tweets were highly controversial or just simply inappropriate. Whatever the messages’ intent, we’re pretty sure Rebecca Minkoff will thing twice before encouraging an unchecked worldwide conversation in front of her high-profile viewers, which included celebrities such as Nicki Hilton and Theophilus London in the crowd.

Moncler, whose jackets go for approximately $1,000 each, hired more than 350 models to stand in a circle and wear puffy jackets. A mirrored ceiling reflected the models and green lighting bounced off of the models and audience. Moncler called it “The Human Forest Show.” While strange and quite frankly, a little frightening, we fully support the glamorization of the puffer. You go, Moncler.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhWpiy_BCOc

Tracy Reese took the term “catwalk” quite literally this year. Reese, who has been featured prominently in the news for her designs worn by First Lady Michelle Obama, used a rescue cat named Lily in her show, citing the “energy” that cats brought to her line.

Dead models were a thing this year. Thom Browne’s highly anticipated show featured blindfolded male models laying lifelessly on steel bed frames as women in structured jackets, dresses and capes strode by. In some cases, the men’s feet and hands were bound by bright red pieces of fabric. Some men also wore a crown of wooden thorns. It’s unclear what statement Browne was attempting to make, but a statement was certainly made.

Photo Credits: Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3