Weighing in with Elizabeth: Finding New Tracks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Hiya Northwestern! If you’ve been following my SELF blog, you probably won’t be surprised when I say… that I’ve been floundering a bit.

My spring break trip to Europe to visit friends threw me off track—as did finals, going home for a few days, the cold weather, the warm weather… the list goes on and on. In fact, I’ve been so off-track that I finally had to ask myself: Am I trying to follow the wrong track?

There’s a lot to be said for a character-building challenge. But you know what? Life should not be a constant struggle. If you’re finding it painful to stick to some regimen, you need to re-evaluate. I know I’ve said that before, but I actually followed it myself for the first time this week.

So, in my efforts to find a track that I can actually stick to, I am trying to listen even harder to my body. Lately I’ve wanted to run around the lake instead of go to the gym—that might not be the best total-body workout, and it might be repetitive, but it’s sweaty and if I want to do it, that’s a plus. Same for food. I’m sitting in the basement of my sorority and thinking about what after-dinner snack I want: a bowl of granola with skim milk, wheat toast, or a banana. I don’t even want junky stuff, I just want real food. I may not lose a ton of weight by not being meticulous about how much I’m eating, but at least I’m listening to what I truly want.

Why would anyone want to be inside a gym when there’s a view like this?

Feel-Good Tip of the Week
This is kind of a weird one, but send a letter! Or a package! I sent my family a box of gifts from my trip and I was so excited waiting for them to get it. It’s nice to feel a connection with a far-away (or not so far-away) place—sometimes it can be just what you need to figure out where you want your new track to take you.

PS- I went with granola. Yummmm.