Top 10 Pop Culture Events of 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

1.Everything Miley

I couldn’t pinpoint just one Miley outburst as a top event, so everything related to her can be encompassed together—from surprising the world when she cut all her hair off, to shocking fans with her risqué VMA performance.

2.Kim and Kanye give birth to baby North West

The significance of this event is very obvious to all of us Northwestern students… Yeezus named his baby after us!

eonline.com 

3. Prince William and Princess Kate give birth to royal baby 

The birth of the royal baby, Prince of Cambridge George Alexander Louis, was one of the most talked about births of the year, and this was undoubtedly due to the fact that there now is a new prince on the market to one day make some girl’s dream of becoming a princess come true.

4. Timber

I will choose to ignore anyone who tries to argue that a song isn’t an event. “Timber”, by Ke$ha and Pitbull, isn’t just a song, but rather a movement.

5. The Harlem shake phase

Remember when the Harlem Shake craze swept the nation, and everyone was in competition to make the best video to accompany the song? It’s okay if you don’t remember—I try to block this time from my mind as well.

6. Amanda Bynes’s breaks down

Like every other childhood star, it was about time for Amanda Bynes to lose her sanity… as evident through, for example, her strange tweets to singer Drake…

celebuzz.com

7. NSYNC reunites

It was every teenage girl’s dream; the band members of NSYNC came out to join the only relevant member, Justin Timberlake, on stage during his VMA performance. Nothing better than a bunch of middle-aged men singing “Bye Bye Bye” in too-tight suits.

8. The Jonas Brothers break up

To follow suit, it was every teenage girl’s nightmare; the Jonas Brothers called it quits. However, I’m still holding onto hope that 10 years from now they will all reunite on stage at the VMAs, NSYNC style.   

9. Beyoncé lip-sings the national anthem

Who would have ever thought that Queen B could do anything wrong? No one—until she apparently lip sang at President Barack Obama’s inauguration. But even still, fans seemed to successfully justify this act, so Queen B reigns on.

10. Corey Monteith passes away

And finally on a more serious note, the passing of this Glee star after a drug overdose shook the lives of not only “Gleeks” worldwide, but also his on and off screen girlfriend Lea Michele. Though the show continues to air today, it will never be the same without its quarterback.