The female-led sitcom you’ve been waiting for is finally here

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

One of the most divisive debates among Gen Z is whether “The Office” or “Parks and Recreation” is the best comedy show. Both ended a while ago — in 2013 and 2015, respectively. Some argue that these shows were the most recent peak of television comedy. But, I would argue that the genre has found its new shining star in Hulu’s “Abbott Elementary.”

This show employs the same mockumentary format as “The Office” or “Parks and Recreation” but with a more nuanced storyline centered around the teachers and principal of an inner-city elementary school in Philadelphia. The show mainly follows a young, bright-minded teacher named Janine Teagues who is played by the show’s writer and creator: Quinta Brunson. Janine is the source of the show’s shine — a dorky do-gooder who we see attempt to raise spirits in a school that is arguably set up to fail. 

Inner-city schools aren’t the usual pick for the setting of a sitcom, but Brunson rewrites this narrative. Episode topics doesn’t scream comedy at face-value, including those about a gifted program, new art teacher, student transfer, step class and a school supplies wish list. However, the writing transforms these mundane topics into something you can cry or laugh about.

Any good sitcom has a brash character who you can’t help but laugh at, and “Abbott Elementary” finds its modern-day Michael Scott in principal Ava. She blackmails the superintendent, ignores her responsibilities as principal by making TikToks, mocks Janine’s nerdiness and overall, seems to easily stir up trouble. In the show’s pilot, Ava spends much-needed funds from the district on a sign for the school, in which she is featured front-and-center. Ava’s unapologetic quips, especially showcased in one-liners such as her “Lori Left-foot” label for Janine during step class, are among the funniest quotes in the show.

You can tell that “Abbott Elementary” is a major passion project for Brunson, who you may recognize from her role creating content and acting for Buzzfeed Video. Brunson hails from Philadelphia and her mother was a school teacher. She credits her experience in Philly public schools, specifically, a middle school teacher that helped her come out of her shell, as inspiration for the show. However, Brunson’s appreciation for teachers stretches beyond her show. In fact, she reallocated funds from the show’s marketing budget to pay for school supplies for teachers. 

“Abbott Elementary” is the feel-good show we’ve been waiting for. It’s funny yet touching, and I can’t recall ever walking away from an episode without a warm feeling in my heart. 

Elena Hubert

Northwestern '25

Elena is a first-year at Northwestern studying journalism and double majoring in economics with a minor in classics. She comes to Evanston from Atlanta, GA, where she spent most of her time writing and editing for her high school's newspaper. Prior to HerCampus, she wrote for Foreign Policy Youth Collaborative, a nonprofit focused on relaying non-partisan information related to worldwide issues. She is passionate about community-centric journalism, pop culture and urban living, and she hopes her future career will integrate those passions.