Thanksgiving Break Bucketlist: Northwestern Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

We’ve all reached that point in the quarter. We need a break. ASAP. And thankfully it’s coming to us soon in the form of Thanksgiving Break. You may only have 4 short days at home but those days will definitely be worth it, especially after being gone for so long. Here’s a bucket list of things to do this break to make sure you make the most of your time back at home and escape from some of the stresses of NU!

Bathe…Without shoes on

One of the worst parts of living in a dorm, undoubtedly, is the awkwardly claustrophobic showers. And no one likes having to wear flip flops all the time! Even if you have an apartment, chances are you don’t have the nicest shower in the world. This break, indulge yourself and take a bath. Set the mood just right for some quality relaxation time. Get a playlist of your most soothing music and a good read to enjoy while you’re in the tub. Add something sweet, like a bath bomb from Lush, and you’ll leave the bathroom feeling relaxed and smelling good. Just thinking about it makes me feel less stressed.

Relax in the tub just like Marilyn

Stop Complaining about Sodexo Food

If you’re like me, you have some hometown pride about your food. I’m from New Jersey, and I’ll admit, I’m a bit of a food snob. I crave my hometown bagels and New York Style pizza and sometimes I won’t shut up about missing it out here. I’m sure you miss your great Mexican food if you’re from the West Coast or your great Southern cuisine if you’re from the South. This break, enjoy all the home cooking you can get but also make a list of all the food places you missed going to while you were away at school. Hit them up with your friends and reminisce on all the funny times you had there. (Then, sadly, return to campus and realize you’re living on a college budget slash eating in a dining hall :( but hey, deep dish pizza is pretty good!)

And obviously, and most importantly, enjoy THANKSGIVING. It’s ok, it’s a holiday which means you can cheat a little bit on your normal eating habits. Take pride in your food coma, this day only comes once a year. Plus you’ll be more motivated to go workout the next day because you can hit up your favorite gym or workout spot at home that you’ve been missing.

Every Jersey Girl’s Favorite Breakfast

Do Crafts, Not Problem Sets

We live in a perpetual season of midterms here, and most of us will still have work to do when we go home for break. But this break, take at least one day, to close your books and relax. Add Cesar, Blackboard, and all those other annoying sites to your self-control list (you win this time, Facebook) and try a new activity: Crafting! If you’re like me you were lazy/not artistic this summer but got pretty jealous when you saw all of your friends cool dorm room décor that they made when you got to school. Check our Pinterest for some Ideas and go to town with your girlfriends, or better yet, with your mom- she’ll love spending time with you.

DIY magnetic makeup holder-adorable!

Stop Crying about Northwestern Football

Seems like we’re going through a rough patch in the relationship with our cats right now. Don’t worry guys, we still love you, but you keep breaking our hearts! This break, when you go home, try to lift your spirits by enjoying some hometown pride! Watch your favorite hometown NFL game with your family or maybe even attend your old high school team’s sporting event. I know there was a time when all I wanted to do is leave high school but now I miss my tiny little town more than anything. Have some pride in your hometown and all those little things you missed.

Wait did someone say high school football? Clear eyes. Full hearts. Can’t lose. 

Images from Pinterest