Sweet and Simple Halloween Costumes That Will Make You Stand Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As Cady famously stated in Mean Girls, “In Girl World, Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut and no other girls can say anything about it. The hard-core girls just wear lingerie and some form of animal ears.” While there’s nothing wrong with animal ears, we know you girls can get way more creative with our Halloween costumes. These 7 costumes will help you stand out from the mass of animal ears this Halloween.

Image from shopartwine.com

Fruit of the Loom:Skip the giant fruit costume and wear a t-shirt in a fruit color. Write “Fruit of the Loom” on your t-shirt and glue a plastic fruit to a headband. You can grab 3 or 4 friends and go as a group! It’s perfect for the girls who don’t want to spend a lot of money on a Halloween costume.

Image from thegreatmoviereview.com

Black Swan: Put on your favorite LBD or poufy black skirt and go crazy with the eye makeup. Bonus points if you glue on some feathers!

Image from lax-magazine.com

Pan Am stewardess:Pick up a blue dress at American Apparel and top it off with a blue pillbox hat for a retro vibe. It’s a hot new show on TV, and you’ll stand out from all the sexy nurse and sailor costumes with this one! 

Image from ocweekly.com

Princess Beatrice:Remember her crazy hat at the royal wedding? Now it’s available here for less than 40 bucks! You can be a princess for a night while putting a fun spin on an old Halloween favorite.

Image from vogue.co.uk

Madonna:Instead of choosing one of her classic looks, like the cone bra or tracksuit, choose one of her more recent ones — anyone remember the bunny ears, blue dress and thigh high boots she wore to the Met?

Image from geeksugar.com

Professional party hopper:All you need are a fancy dress and a cell phone in your hand all night. This is perfect for the girl who doesn’t want to go over the top but still wants to dress up for Halloween.

Image from mtv.com

Lady Gaga or Nicki Minaj:This is great for the girls who want to go all out on Halloween. There may be hundreds of Lady Gaga lookalikes running around, but you have a lot of her wacky fashion moments to choose from! For your own unique costume, try channeling her in the Telephone video and wrap yourself in caution tape. Or, get a wig and channel Nicki with her bright hair and pinup girl style.

Regardless of your costume this Halloween, just remember to stay safe and have a blast!

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo