Surprise Your Special Someone.. on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Want to impress whoever is holding your heart this Valentine’s Day? Whether you’re engaged or just oggling in class, here are some quick ways you can show your affection without even leaving the Northwestern campus in the freezing weather. In price-descending order, scroll down to find an option in your budget!

Sweet Serenades – $20-$30
Prove your sweetheart is harmony to your melody. Find a friend in an a capella group on campus and ask them if they have the time (come on, just 2 minutes!) to surprise your love with a little serenade! Sororities use this tactic all the time for pledge mom week, so a capella groups are used to the idea and probably have a few love songs under their belt. Tell them it’s extra practice – that’ll help convince them. A few groups have organized serenade programs this time of year – email the coordinators to see what price you can negotiate. The sweet sounds of one of our dozen groups can steal your breath – and your heart!

Rock of Love – $15
For those of you who are really daring, don’t mind the cold, and have a lot of time on your hands, go ahead and check the NU bucket list off by painting the rock for your special someone. You do have to guard for twenty four hours, but with the right entertainment and some friends, your design could really be a special surprise seen by the whole campus. Prospies will love this one, too—tour guides always take the time to point out this strange hotspot on campus! Also consider the lakefill’s collection of decorative rocks if you’re ready for a slightly slushy stroll – only a handful are left accesible and unpainted but you wouldn’t be the first to profess everlasting love that way.

Door Decor – $10
If you’re seeking a dorm resident, go home makeover on his or her door! He probably won’t be into the zillions of posters with sparkles littering the Greeks, but taping a few cute cards or some streamers to the door would make anyone smile after a rough week of midterms! If your target is likely to be embarrassed, try slipping cute notes under the door. Use common sense – don’t get creepy with this – keep it light and cute!

Chalking – under $5
If you really want to make a statement, chalk the sidewalk for the one you’ve got your eye on. Go out on a sunny day (or late at night if this is a more covert operation), pick a spot where your other half spends a lot of time, and draw an adorable picture or write a cute message that will be waiting for them when they arrive!

Breaking News – Free?!
Most everyone looks at some form of campus media from time to time. Put in a classified ad, poem, picture, or note promoting your love so that the whole campus will know! If you’re clever, you’ll end up a viral adorable hit. Maybe HC would even help you out with this one…

Hopefully these tips can help shake up your Valentine’s Day if you’re in need of a creative outlet. Good luck spreading the love and surprising your special someone!

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.