Students Bid Online Farewell To The Keg Of Evanston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

By now everyone has heard the devastating news – The Keg of Evanston, that beacon of light every Monday night, home of free cardboard-like popcorn and the best top 40 tunes you can find around…has lost its liquor license. In effect, The Keg is no more.

Immediately upon release of the statement from Mayor Tisdahl, on a  Monday ironically, the news spread like wildfire. However, I think I only had three or four in-person conversations about the closing; the bulk of the conversation was happening on all platforms of social media and through some pretty stellar YouTube creations.

NU Intel aggregated some of the best Facebook status updates here, while tons of others took to Twitter to post their #TKOE, #RIPTKOE, #ripkeg, and #savethekeg tweets.

I’m torn between being impressed and disgusted by this show of affection for one of the grimiest bars in the world…I’m pretty sure I’m going to stick with impressed. Most of the comments I saw were brilliant, intelligent, witty remarks, ranging from comments against Tisdahl to mockeries of Evanston’s other bar options.

But more than the individual status updates or tweets, what’s really got people talking are the videos, songs, and meme photos that have been cropping up. I’ve got a few of my favorites here for you to enjoy, and would love if you posted comments with links to others!

1. Photo Win (click on the photo to go to the original posting) 

2. Hitler’s Response (with almost 8,000 views already)

3. The anonymous fake Twitter account of Mayor Elizabeth Tisdahl

4. My personal favorite – “Don’t Shut My Bar,” an original song by Casey Buckley

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.