The Struggles of Returning From Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Coming back from abroad calls for a whirlwind of emotions- excitement, sadness, and confusion all in one. After spending four months in a foreign country with no rules, no expectations, and a carefree lifestyle, readjusting to America and more specifically, Northwestern, isn’t necessarily the easiest thing to do. Although I am beyond excited to be back home, there are definitely some things that have been hard to adjust to.

1) People don’t want to sit and talk for meals.

In Europe, meals are three hour-long excursions and are the one time when everyone sits, relaxes, and shares their thoughts about the day. In America, it feels as though every meal is rushed, and dinnertime is just a time to eat, and not to chat.

2) WHY IS EVERYTHING HERE SO EXPENSIVE?

The sweater I bought at Zara in America costs almost $70 but in Europe was only €34 (~$37)! WHAT IS THIS BLASPHEMY?! Given that the exchange rate from Euros to Dollars is great right now, everything in Europe seemed so cheap. I mean, you could buy 10 chicken nuggets from Burger King for only €1… now that’s a deal if I’ve ever heard one.

3) What is school?

Abroad is notoriously known for being easy school-wise, and that definitely isn’t false. Since most programs abroad seemed like a breeze, coming back to Northwestern and having a full schedule is much harder than it seems.

4) This weather is NOT ideal.

Coming from 65 degree weather to -15 with wind chill, the weather has personally been one of the biggest adjustments. Time to whip out the down jacket that goes down to my ankles.

5) I don’t know anyone here…

Retunring to a campus of basically unfamiliar faces can be a bit overwhelming. You feel as though you are in a weird position because as a junior, your home is filled with people you don’t even know (specifically, 1/4 of the Northwestern population). This is a sad and odd adjustment to get used to, for just as you feel like you are actually getting to know people on campus, a whole new class is here and they have no idea who you are.

Although everyone has their own personal difficulties adjusting to real life back in America again, I know we can all happily say, it has never been so good to be home despite these struggles.