The Season’s Top 10 BB Creams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Okay— so I know BB cream isn’t a breaking new product stopping beauty gurus in their tracks. However, in 2012, when first introduced to the Western Makeup Market, it did cause quite an excitement among customers. Even if you didn’t know exactly what BB cream was, you knew you had to have it. It’s not exactly foundation, but it’s not cover-up either, and its certainly not bronzer. Even over a year after its sweep of Sephora’s shelves, I bet most girls, even those who use BB cream religiously, couldn’t even say exactly what BB cream is.

BB stands for blemish balm, beauty balm, or blemish base, and it is marketed as a cream that is an all-in-one combination of moisturizer, primer, foundation, and sunblock. It’s especially appealing to college girls like myself because it, for one, can help my already flushed skin maintain an even tone against the brutal Chicago wind. Second, anything that is all-in-one implies that time is saved, and if you could cut a few minutes out of your beauty routine in order to get more sleep, wouldn’t you? Fortunately, BB cream isn’t a scam like other all-in-one products, (namely 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner which we all know really doesn’t actually condition). BB cream is in fact an efficient all-in-one product, as long as you get the right one. Below are the top ten best BB creams you can get at your local drug, makeup, or department store. 

1.     Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream   $8.99 at your local drug store.

My personal favorite, this BB cream is relatively inexpensive, however gives great coverage without making your skin look oily or cakey. It also comes in a wide range of colors so you can match it perfectly to your skin tone.

2.     Smashbox Camera Ready BB Cream  $39.00 at Nordstrom.

This BB cream gets rid of shine instantly upon application, so those of you with oily skin that shines but not in a cool Beyoncé-esque way, this is the cream for you.

3.     Urban Decay Naked Beauty Balm  $34.00 at Sephora

Naked eye shadow pallets are the best of the best, and Urban Decay maintains this high standard with its BB cream. This cream is great in reducing the look of wear on your skin, so if you frequent the sun and its starting to take a toll on your complexion, this BB cream will fix that right up.

4.     Boscia
 BB Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 27  $38.00 at Sephora

This cream is known best for hydrating immensely, while still being gentle enough for sensitive skin.

www.alwayspretty.com

5.     Clinique Age Defense BB cream  $37.00 at Nordstrom

So this may sound like it’s a BB cream better for your mom than you, but don’t let the “Age Defense” fool you. If your skin tone is at all uneven, then no matter your age, Clinique’s BB cream is the way to go.

6.     Dr. Brandt Signature Flexitone BB Cream  $39.00 at Sephora

This BB cream is amazing in helping make your dull skin more radiant if you have opposite of the “too-shiny” problem.However, a word of caution: If you have fair skin, this BB cream has yellow-based pigments and therefore may not do much for you in terms of illumination.

7.     Estée Lauder Daywear BB Cream – $39.00 at Nordstrom

Though it only comes in two shades, each shade blends relatively perfectly with any skin tone. This BB cream is also perfect for oily skin; it is not cakey at all, so it’s great for the daytime, hence “daywear” in the name.

www.prettygossip.com

8.     Garnier Skin Renew BB Cream – $10.35 at your local drugstore

Sorry the majority of these creams have been a little on the expensive side—however, this BB cream by Garnier gets the job done at 1/3 of the price of most. It is perfect for soothing dry skin, and making small blemishes disappear. Your face feels naked with this cream, making you look natural and fresh.

9.     MAC Prep and Prime BB Cream $23.00 at MAC cosmetics

This cream helps to soften your dry or rough skin, revamping its texture. It also has 35 SPF, so is perfect for those of you with skin that is sensitive to the sun.

10. L’Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Skin Beautifier B.B. Cream  $10.99 at your local drug store

This final BB cream that I love is perfect for those of you that are a little self-conscious due to blemishes. Its number one goal is to help soothe any imperfections while making your entire skin tone have an even glow.

www.beautylish.com