Seasonal Affective Disorder: Winter Blues, Or Something More?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Every snowfall, Facebook is bombarded by the statuses of Northwestern students asking, “Why did I ever leave home for this weather?!” Though these students are (usually) joking, many students across America are actually affected by Seasonal Affective Disorder – or S.A.D., a type of depression that usually occurs during the winter.

S.A.D. is especially common in climates with short winter days and large inconsistencies in the amount of sunlight between seasons. It’s more likely to affect women, with 75% of women affected each year. It also occurs more frequently in higher altitudes.

S.A.D. can zap your energy, making you tired and moodier than usual, and cause anxiety and overeating.  “Sometimes, I don’t even want to get out of bed and go to class because I dread going outside, and I feel more tired and wearisome,” says Helen Li, a sophomore from St. Louis, Missouri.

S.A.D. is caused by not getting enough sunlight in the winter months, which can mess up your biological clock. Also, the lack of sunlight causes your brain to increase its production of melatonin, making you more tired.

However, not all students feel depression as the primary effect of S.A.D. It can also make students unmotivated.  “I don’t really feel like making the effort to go out because it’s more inconvenient, and school-wise, my grades definitely do suffer a little bit just because I’m also not really in the mood to do work,” says Angela Lee, a junior from Southern California.

Is there anything you can do?

To lessen the effects of S.A.D., try exercising regularly.

“Your mood is regulated by chemicals in your body, and in the summer when you can get more exercise and you have more adrenaline flowing through your body, you feel much better,” says Janny Sweetow, a nurse at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. “But, in the winter, because you get less physical activity, it can cause depression.”

Students afflicted with S.A.D. can also try light therapy – a process mimicking the exposure to sunlight — or taking a walk during the day to counteract the effect of less sunshine. You could also rearrange your furniture to maximize the amount of daylight in the room.
For those that live in dorms with tiny windows or no overhead lighting, investing in a few bright lamps can help.

For very severe cases, students with S.A.D. should consider talking with their doctors and families about trying an antidepressant, though there may be a risk of side effects.

Sources:
MayoClinic.com
NMHA.org

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.