Rosie on Romance: Wet Weather Dates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

It is a truth universally acknowledged that if there is ever a warm day in Chicago, said day will always be accompanied by bulldozing wind or dreary rain. And in keeping up with the spring tradition, we have been graced with weeks of terrible torrents (I promise I haven’t been doing the rain dance…at least, not recently). But just because it’s a tad wet outside, doesn’t mean you have to let it put a, well, damper on your date night. Instead, use this opportunity to do things indoors you’ve always wanted to do or be a little adventurous. So here are some ideas for the next few gloomy days:

1.     Wet & Wild: Go ahead and do what you can only do in the rain—be in it! Grab your wellingtons and go puddle hopping or share an intimate moment under an umbrella. Or why not just go for a jog with your guy in the rain a la The Notebook? You know what happens to clothes after they get wet!

2.     Sorting Memories: Take this quiet day to go through past photos with your guy. By spending all your time running errands or making future plans, you sometimes forget to take a moment and appreciate the past. This is your moment, and it might just bring you closer than any crazy date would.

3.     Be a Chef: Wings Over Evanston’s or Giordano’s phones are going to be ringing off the hook today. So why not spare yourselves the wait and cook a dinner together? Cooking takes time, and time is what you have ample amounts of today, so make it count—try something fancy like rack of lamb and throw a rose on the table for an extra touch of romance.

4.     Visit the Whales: On a brilliantly sunny day, most would opt to go to the zoo than visit the dark, damp aquarium. So why not make a wet day wetter by seeing the folks who spend their whole lives in a puddle? Shedd Aquarium’s dim lighting might help cast a charming spell on the night.

5.     Wave Watching: For the more adventurous couples, try going to the lake fill to test your bravery. A 1970s psychology test by Dutton and Aron demonstrated that being in an exciting environment (their experiment included a 450 feet high suspension bridge) could get your romantic juices flowing. But even if you’re not the courageous type, some of the strongest bonds often come out of the most perilous circumstances, so ladies, here’s your excuse to cling to his biceps!