This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Northwestern freshman Jake Roberge agreed with many students when he said, “I hate the old Justin Bieber, but I’m starting to enjoy the new one.”

There is no denying that pop-star Justin Bieber has always had a strong fan base; young girls have been swooning over the Canadian heartthrob since his first music video was posted on YouTube in 2009. But, his audience was often characterized as young and mostly female —“teeny-boppers” to say the least. Bieber always talked about expanding his fanbase, but even with his attempt at an edgier sound in his 2013 album “Journals,” Bieber attracted the same, young audience. After a series of scandals revolving around excessive partying, more and more parents started to urge their daughters to stop “beliebing.” Comedy Central even gave Bieber the esteemed opportunity to be the subject of a prime-time celebrity roast.

But, starting with his collaboration with Skrillex in the song “Where Are U Now” released in late July, Bieber has been wowing new demographics. 

“His new singles seem to signal a revival in his passion for music, and almost seem to be as much a revitalization of his career as it is a revitalization of his image,” said Rushikesh Joshi, a senior at California Institute of Technology.

His single “Sorry,” which has had a solid stance in the top charts since its release, quite literally asks for reconciliation, a plea for forgiveness from the public who has watched him make mistake after mistake.

“Justin Bieber has definitely evolved as an artist,” said Northwestern freshman Georgia Strickland.

His new songs have a different sound – raw vocal tracks with powerful acoustics. They seem to be taking on stronger messages and people seem to be listening. He is no longer singing about his middle school crush, but more mature relationships full of passion and some even tainted with heartbreak. (Sup, Selena.) But after all, it is Bieber. He still finds a way to make sure the tune is catchy enough to get stuck in your head.

“Even boys can’t deny how good his music is right now,” said USC freshman Moi Lee.

Northwestern student Ben Guzman, 18, was never a fan of Bieber. It wasn’t until his new songs repeatedly played on the radio that Guzman started to catch on. Now, Guzman believes that “what Justin Bieber is currently doing with music is revolutionizing the game.”

It is clear that there seems to be a “Bieber Bandwagon” circulating these days, but it is Bieber’s original fans that propel his career forward. As he has evolved, his fans have too. For die-hard fan Natalie Katwan, a freshman at Santa Clara University, the sudden appreciation for Bieber is long overdue.

“Since the beginning of his career, haters were constantly waiting for him to crash and burn. He quickly rose to fame and proved everyone wrong, single after single. Now he’s back better than ever ready to conquer the music world again.” 

His new album, “Purpose,” which is released on November 13, promises even more hits — making him one step closer to conquering the music world.

“I honestly used to hate his guts, but now I would honestly pay for front row tickets,” said Victoria Garrick, a freshman at USC. Bieber may have to add a few venues to his upcoming world tour because a whole new crowd has caught the Bieber fever.

Michelle is freshman in the Medill School of Journalism, Media, and IMC at Northwestern University. Michelle is originally from Menlo Park, CA--about forty minutes away from San Francisco and forty seconds away from Facebook HQ. When she is not writing for HerCampus, she can be found dancing. In fact, she's always dancing.