This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

We’re physically distancing, not socially distancing! It is so important to stay tuned into your relationships during this trying time. There are so many ways to still move forward in your relationships while still maintaining safety standards.

Picnic in a Park

The weather’s getting warmer, so what better way to enjoy it than by getting outside for a picnic? Of course, you need to ensure that you are following any guidelines for your area, but if parks are open it’s a go! You should each pack your individual blankets and food items so you don’t have to share. Pick a spot and get set up. Enjoy the fresh air and good company.

The Netflix Party

The Netflix Party browser extension has become very popular lately due to quarantine. Try the trend a hold a Netflix and chill date—you can even call each other on Zoom simultaneously so that you can see each other’s faces on the screen too. Install the browser extension and then one of you needs to go onto Netflix and start the episode. Once that has been done, that person should click the “NP” extension at the top of their screen and select “Start the party.” There will be a link that needs to be copied and emailed to the other person. All the second person needs to do is go into their email and click the link, which automatically syncs the show on both devices and allows you to chat back and forth on the same screen. Grab your popcorn!

Take a Hike

A more active alternative to the picnic idea, hiking can be an opportunity to get a workout in and still practice social distancing. Find a state or national park near you (if they are open, of course) and plan to go on a day with nice weather. Bring snacks and drinks with you and bond over exploring nature! This is a great date for the outdoorsy couples out there, but it can also be good for anyone going stir-crazy because of quarantine.

Cooking Over FaceTime

TikTok has been full of easy recipes lately. Pick one out with your partner and create it from your individual kitchens over FaceTime. You can either choose the same one, or you could do different ones! Dessert can be especially fun to make together. When it is finished, you can both sit down and taste it at the same time. Although it is definitely not the same as actually being together, it can help to make you feel a little less lonely. This date promotes conversation and bonding through an experience!

A pandemic doesn’t have to stop you from having meaningful experiences with your significant other. Try out some of these date ideas to keep the romance alive!

Jenna Spray

Northwestern '23

Jenna is a journalism and legal studies double major at Northwestern University. In her free time, she enjoys binge eating dark chocolate and studying Italian in hopes that she can one day become an honorary Italian citizen. As a washed-up high school athlete, fitness is one of Jenna's passions, and her goal is to encourage more young women to get in the weight room. You can find her curled up in her bed watching Gossip Girl or using the squat rack at your local gym.