PDA: Pretty Damn Awesome or Please Don’t Allow? The Bro Blog Weighs In…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Welcome to the Bro Blog!!!
We have 4 pages of bro opinions about showing the world just how much you care about your someone special!!!
Check them all out  and enjoy:)

Looking for a specific blogger? Click on their names to navigate to their post!
J.P. Bowgen
Mike Mallazzo
Northwestern Guy
Ben Shartar

[pagebreak]

For those of you that may not get out much, PDA stands for a “public display of affection.” They’re not uncommon. The simplest gesture can be considered PDA: a hug, a kiss on the cheek, a high five. But sometimes, PDA gets taken a little farther—people get more forward.

Couples making out on the sidewalk, a boyfriend grabbing his girlfriend’s butt—yeah, PDA comes in all forms. My issue though? Why do people care what happens between two people, even if it is in public?

There is no law saying that people can’t passionately make out at a crowded intersection. If they love each other, or are attracted to each other at the very least, they have the right to do whatever they want. It’s their choice.

Sticking your nose in someone else’s business just makes you look silly. So don’t ruin a moment between two people. Believe it or not, you may encounter a similar situation when you have to kiss someone with people watching. To be honest, it is exhilarating to make out in front of other people. It gives you that sense of confidence that you may not have had in a different situation. It’s the one time you can “brag” to other people about having someone in your arms without looking completely ridiculous.

But hopefully, when you do get that opportunity, you aren’t just participating for the hell of it. It’s much more valuable when the opportunity is cherished. When you feel something genuine with another person, and you kiss them in public, it makes it that much sweeter. You can say to yourself and others that you have something special. PDA in this instance is much more than just a showcase.

My advice is to forget what other people think of you. If you love her, kiss her whenever the hell you want. That is your prerogative. The same goes for the girls. If you think he’s cute and you want to get a little closer, take that opportunity to show your “relationship” off in public. Don’t worry about what other people have to say because it isn’t their business.

It sounds superficial, but flaunt what you have in your boyfriend/girlfriend. Be proud. If anything, the people that have issues with PDA are jealous. They don’t like it because they don’t have it themselves. Everyone loves to show affection, so take advantage of the time that you can be affectionate. Let’s be real, if you’ve ever watched a decent chick-flick, you’ll know PDA works every time.

So, if you do get the opportunity to show some affection in public, don’t be awkward. Be confident. Show yourself off to whoever happens to be looking. Not only will you make them jealous, but you’ll also make yourself feel more confident.

Go to the next page for Mike’s bro blog!
[pagebreak]

Happy Reading Week Ladies,

I’m a reasonable and understanding man.  I know that this divine weather means that spring fever is in full effect and that this “fever” can drive us all to be extra loving and affectionate.  While I realize that the sunshine may give you a desire to start necking on the Deering Lawn or grind up against your boy on a tree on the lakefill, please don’t.  There is not a single person alive, besides those that actually pay money for porn that enjoy seeing this type of thing.  While the bro blog certainly is not a right wing publication, we do at least ask that you keep it below NC-17 and I’m here to tell you how to keep your level of PDA just right to make everyone jealous without forcing them to lose their lunch.

The inspiration for this article came from the sight of a couple going at it in none other than the library elevator.  Ladies, just because Stephen Tyler can pull it off doesn’t mean you can.   If elevator music gets you hot and bothered to the point of intense making out, you should probably never appear with your significant other in public.  And seriously, the library?  There are people trying to study and engineering students trying to sleep in there and they don’t need to see that.  In addition, I saw two couples getting their smooch on in Tech Plaza this morning.  This is also a campus location that should be off limits for public affection.  Anyone walking into Tech is most likely miserable at the thought of having to sit through organic chemistry and seeing you happy and in love is only pouring salt in the wound.  Finally, last time there was a nice display of public affection in Tech, Northwestern shifted the demand curve a bit in the market for sexual power tools and we don’t really need that again.

It is vital to remember that this doesn’t mean that you can’t show the world that you like each other.  Remember the good old days when people held hands?  However, this is a liberal society so you can take it a bit further.  The rule of thumb here is that if you wouldn’t be comfortable being this affectionate in front of your cool aunt, you’re going too far.  Note that I didn’t say mom or dad or grandparents but cool aunt.  By cool aunt, I mean the one that let you stay up late watching scary movies and eating cookies when you were little and snuck you mojitos at the last family wedding.  If even she would turn away and hide in her martini, then it’s probably a bit much.

The key fact to remember is that your boy isn’t going anywhere.  You’ll have plenty of time to go wild on him in private where there isn’t a 90 year old professor with a heart condition watching.  So next time you feel tempted to get frisky in University Hall simply remember that he’s not going off to war, he’s just going to class.

I have the coolest aunts,
   Mike    

Read what “Northwestern Guy” has to say about PDA!
[pagebreak]

I am a supporter of Public Display of Affection and ladies, you are too, so quit lying to yourselves.  The only reasons girls wouldn’t like it is A) they don’t want to be judged by their (jealous) friends for looking promiscuous or B) they just aren’t that sexually charged. 

There are many benefits to PDA that put a spring in the step of every collegiette™.  Despite girls’ attempts to appear humble, let’s be real, they love to show off. PDA is a girl’s way to show off her man to her friends without looking too obvious.  Holding hands with her boyfriend doesn’t look like she’s showing off, but in her mind she’s thinking, “That’s right.  This is my man so back off.”

PDA is beneficial for guys since we’ll be perceived well by the opposite sex.  Girls want a guy who has some sensitivity; PDA is a form of sensitivity since it is a way of us being nurturing and emotional.  Therefore, when other girls see a man using PDA correctly, they’re going to get the impression that he’s a “good guy.” News like this spreads like wildfire amongst females because girls talk about this shit 24/7, and the “good guy” rep will skyrocket, so if the relationship fails, he’ll still be looking good in girl world. 

As I touched on earlier, PDA is only a good thing if it can be done right. My rule of thumb is less is more – do it in public, but when it is somewhat of a private setting.  In other words, don’t be the center of attention.  Just keep it casual.  You hold hands for a little bit, you give her a kiss on the cheek when you see her, maybe even a quick butt grab. 

That’s the kind of stuff girls like, it’s getting them hot to trot, even if they say they don’t like it.  When you physically touch a girl it makes them feel wanted.  Let’s face it, girls generally like the alpha male, the guy who takes charge and somewhat bosses them around (playfully of course).  That’s why this PDA stuff works.

Some guys don’t want to show PDA and there isn’t anything wrong with that.  Remember those Miller Lite Man Law commercials?  Probably not, but they basically outline the rules that all real men follow.  And the first “man law” or “bro code” that all males know – Don’t be a bitch.  Displaying PDA can be perceived by other guys as looking like a whipped bitch.  At the same time, more sophisticated and mature men (like myself) don’t mind bending those rules because we understand it’s all a part of the relationship game.

Curious who “Northwestern Guy” is? Check out his profile… maybe you can figure it out!

Ben’s got something to say… keep going!!!
[pagebreak]

Okay, let us set something straight. PDA used to stand for Public Display of Affection. After seeing what it has transformed to mean now, I have one thing to say: Affection is not synonymous with lust. My high school English teacher said not to belittle your writing ability by starting off a paper with a definition, so Randal Robson, if for some bizarre chance you are reading this, I am sorry. According to the good people at Dictionary.com, affection is defined as follows: “fond attachment, devotion, or love,” or “a feeling of fondness or tenderness for a personor thing.” Now let us clear up some things and draw the lines. In order for something to be categorized under the banner of affection, it must have its root lie in a tender feeling of fondness and devotion (or if you are okay with the L word, then maybe even Love). Things that fall under that banner include holding hands, having her rest her head on your shoulder, kisses on the cheek, church kisses (one you would be okay doing at your wedding in front of your entire family. p.s. that means no tongue), etc. You know, the cute things. However, what most people think of when they say PDA is not in fact an act of affection between two mature and loving individuals, it has come to represent what horny middle schoolers do in the back row of the movie theater because they can’t drive and that is the only semblance of privacy they will get from their parents. That is in fact an Public Display of Overactive Hormones it’s root lie a little further south than in the heart.

Do not get the two confused, because the former is a beautiful thing, and the latter is just kind of disturbing and it can make people really uncomfortable because believe it or not, most people don’t wake up and think to themselves: “Man, I sure do hope I see two people sucking face and awkwardly groping each other in public, that would be just swell!” We are in college, we don’t have to do this sort of stuff in public because we don’t live in our parents’ houses anymore; we have the privacy of our own rooms. If you want to get physical, go behind closed doors. There is really no reason why two people cannot keep themselves from being overly physical until they can get somewhere private. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with holding a girl’s hand as you walk her home or gently kissing someone goodnight. My father used to tell me not to do something I wouldn’t be proud of seeing in the paper the next day. The same rule can apply for acts of PDA, if you think it would be fine to be seen in the paper the next day, go for it; if it is not appropriate for the newspaper, let’s keep it between you two (or even three or four if that is what you are into).

Finally, as with every rule, there are exceptions. There are actually some places and situations where it is okay to just be sloppy. These include cheap college bar dance floors, anything to do with Halloween (if you are in costume no one will know it is you), if you are drunk enough to have to ask your friend “did I hook up with someone last night?”, and feel free to add your own. And while some might disagree that those are acceptable places, it is at least understandable. To end my rant, remember: Lust is not the same as affection, so if you are in public, keep it in your pants. If it isn’t hallmark leave it private.

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo