One Dress, 4 Ways

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

As we prepare ourselves for the holiday season, you’re probably going to be spending more time with family, friends or your boyfriend (or any cutie) during your short break. Enjoy this festive time with these budget-friendly ways to wear one versatile dress for four different occasions.

The dress: Forever 21 Dotted Sleeveless Dress, $28

1. Dinner With The Family

For a family dinner, you want to be casual, warm, and comfortable at the same time. Keep it simple by pulling a Christmas-inspired cable knit sweater over the dress, transforming your look into a sweater-and-skirt ensemble. Add on some dainty stud earrings, a classic silver watch and some cute flats in a festive color to make this look completely casual with just enough flare.

PJ by Peter Jensen Polka Dot Bow Sweater$79
Lacquered Circle Earrings, $4
Time Is Money Watch, $33
Solid Bow-Front Flat, $23 
[pagebreak]
2. Brunch Outing With Friends

If you have a brunch outing with some friends you haven’t seen for a long time, dress for the weather while still looking chic. Layer with neutral basics like an oatmeal-hued cardigan, but belt the cardigan with a skinny belt in your favorite color to give your body more shape, like this mint one with a ribbon detail. Add on a classic trench coat and camel booties for an outfit ready for any weather. A crème colored beret and earrings in the same color as your belt are the perfect finishing touches to this ultra-feminine outfit!

Afternoon Uptown Coat, $90
Cardigan, $50
Never Too Jaded Earrings, $13
Theory Booties, $170
Cap, $7
Belt With Bow, $36

3. Date Night

If you’re a girl with a special someone to impress, the holiday season is the perfect time to spend a lot of time with him. Adding some feminine touches to an otherwise simple and no-fuss outfit is the general rule for a date night ensemble. Layer your dress with a loose lace cardigan and top it off with a red pea coat. Add some height with thigh-high heeled boots and hints of sparkle with dainty jewelry for a chic holiday look of red, black and gold!

Bell Sleeve Lace Cardigan, $23
Pearlescent Clip On Earrings, $4
Hooded Red Pea coat, $45
Black Soft Faux Suede Stretch Fitted Knee Height Heel Boots, $30
Gold Under Wraps Bracelet, $20

4. Girls’ Night Out

For a night out with the girls, you want to keep things simple but not boring. A fool-proof leather jacket and a pair of sky high heels are essentially all you need to make this dress night-time appropriate. Keep things interesting by selecting heels with edgy details, like this one with spikes down the back of the shoe. If you want to accessorize, just throw on a simple necklace to spice up the basic dress. Put your hair down in tousled, messy waves and you’re ready to go!

Soft Washed Leather Motorcycle Jacket, $199
Yellow Belly Gold Snake Necklace, $15
Privileged Heartbreaker Black Spiked & Stoned Wedge Booties, $83

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.