NCAA Zones Diver, Mary Kate Campbell

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Mary Kate Campbell
Year– Sophomore
Major: Journalism
Hometown: Burr Ridge, IL

Describe your typical day as a Northwestern diver.
Well, my alarm goes off at 6:30 usually. I go to practice, and then immediately after practice, I go to class. Once class is over, I go back to practice. Both practices are 2 hours long. After that, I have my “free time” which usually consists of homework, socializing, and resting. I try to go to bed by 10:30, so that I get a good night’s rest.

Tell us about the NCAA zones you just made. When are they?
In order to make NCAA finals, you have to make NCAA zones. To qualify for NCAA zones, you have to make a certain score. For 3-meter, it’s 280 points. The weekend of March 9, I’ll go to NCAA zones and compete against approximately 40 people picked. From those 40 people, 1 or 2 people will make it NCAA finals.

What was your initial reaction when you found out you made it? Did you expect to make it?
I was really excited because last year, even though I worked really hard, I didn’t make it. It was actually kind of funny because I hadn’t been able to compete for two weeks with an injured shoulder, and I actually had the best meet of my life.

[pagebreak]

How long have you been diving?
I started diving at my country club when I was 4. I’ve been competing on a national level since I was 7.

What qualifies an amazing dive?
I guess from the judges’ standpoint, a perfect dive shows perfect athletic ability paired with artistic qualities. Not only do you have to look professional on the board, but you also have to maintain a sort of beauty in the air and into the water.

What would you say is the hardest thing about being a diver at Northwestern?
I think the hardest part is definitely balancing schoolwork with athletics. While I love diving and it’s gotten me very far in life so far, you always have to remember that it’s not everything and we’re at a great school like Northwestern where your degree is going to pave the future path to success. Another hard thing is being able to be involved in everything I want to do, because there’s not enough time in a day.

What’s the rest of the season like for the NU divers?
Over winter break, we will all be going to Hawaii for our training trip. It sounds like a lot of fun, but it’s also a lot of work. Our season will pick up again at the beginning of January, where we will continues to train for Big 10’s and meets like NCAA’s.

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo