Mori Einsidler: Current Superstar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Sophomore, 19, Communication Studies Major
FutureCurrent Superstar

So, what do you want to be when you grow up?
First of all, I’ll never grow up. Second, ideally, when I am older, I want to be a professional musician/recording artist.

How did this come about?
When I was ten, I started playing guitar, when I was 14 I started writing songs, I started taking voice lessons and recording at around 15, and I started playing shows at around 16.

So why do you want to do this music biz?
 I want to pursue music because it is the only thing I can devote all of my time to without tiring of it or losing interest.  It’s my passion and I know that if I had a day job I’d never really be as happy as I would be if I were a performing, recording musician

Who are your musical idols?
 When I was ten, Michelle Branch became my first musical icon and obsession.  I bought a black guitar and took lessons because of her.Then in middle school I fell in love with Dashboard Confessional, who has been one of my biggest influences in songwriting and performing. Along the way I loved KT Tunstall, Bright Eyes, ReginaSpektor. When I was 15 I fell head over heels over the music of Tegan& Sara, and there was no turning back. They’re a tremendous influence on my music. I worship them.

What’s your style?
I’d say I play an amalgam of what I listen to, which is alternative pop rock
maybe a little indie sprinkled in there.

What’s the NU music scene like, from your perspective? How did you choose NU?
The NU music scene isn’t great, which is why the student organization Niteskool is working on building it up (I’m on their board) and making it better.  Bill’s Blues (music venue) closed in Evanston and there’s no music venue for students on campus, so basically there is nowhere for musicians to play aside from the sparse events on campus and at Chicago venues, which is tough in and of itself because students don’t often come out to those students’ shows.

I came to NU knowing it was close to Chicago, which is great for gig opportunities, but to be honest a lot of the musicians here, myself included, are underwhelmed by the lack of a centralized music scene, a particularly supportive student body, and a place to play on campus.

So what is Niteskool all about?
Niteskool is seeking to establish a roster of student musicians and bands at NU whose shows they can help book and promote, as well as planning more on campus events where students can play and be heard by their peers.

I hear you have a band called “Mori and the Moonwalkers.” Is this your first band? How did it form? What do you guys do?
Last year, I started doing my solo thing. In high school I played solo or with my band “Mori and the Contraband.” So, I wanted to start a band at college too, and luckily my friend and drummer from home, Andrew Abramowitz, was also going to NU, so I was off to a good start.  There was a shifting lineup as people’s availability changed, but this winter we solidified our bassist and guitarist (I’ve had the same drummer and keyboardist (Emilia Barosse) since last year) and we’ve been gigging and practicing since.

How did you find the other band members?
Well coming into this year we needed a lead guitarist, and a friend of mine I’d been jamming with on the side had a friend who he said was a fantastic guitarist. So I asked him and he was down, which was very fortunate because Sam Trusley (the guitarist) is the man. Then our bassist left because he had too much theatre and work going on, so I asked my friend who’d recommended Sam, Ben Millstein, to play bass.

How do you rally fan support?
It’s actually funny – I’ve gotten sh** before about the notion that I am “too self-promotional”
when really I just do what every band does or should do, and that is simply making Facebook events for any upcoming shows, and telling my friends about them.

What’s been your favorite gig?
We played at the Elbo Room on Monday, February 7 in Chicago and had a blast. We were lucky enough to have some friends come out and support, but also the band after us caught our set and some of their friends did too, and it was just a really great energy and it was super fun.
We’re hoping the show at Abbey will be our best yet, ’cause we get a longer set and hopefully the audience will be having a good night what with the festivities of the night and whatnot. 

See you there!

Monica is a sophomore at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. She spent her early years growing up in a small town in Minnesota, but spent the last half of her life in Seoul, South Korea where she developed a city girl love for good food finds and fashion. Journalism has been a major part of her life, but she can also be found relaxing with a cup of coffee, watching movies, and spending time with loved ones. Though she has a tough exterior, Monica is actually a romantic who loves the power of words, the importance of strength in any endeavor, and who always wears her heart on her sleeve.