Meet Somi Hubbard: Fusion Dancer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.
Name: Somi Hubbard 
Year: Sophomore
Major: Communication Studies, IMC certificate
Hometown: Palos Verdes, CA

When and how did you start dancing?
I started ballet when I was 4 but after a few years realized that I was not cut out for that (I hated leotards and gelling my hair into tight buns). I began taking classes in jazz/modern, hip hop, and tap. Hip hop became my favorite. In high school, I was part of coed team that did the style that Fusion does and also part of a girls team that was more focused on contemporary, which I did in one piece for this last show.

How would you describe your dance style?
My favorite kind of dancing is the kind I do when I’m with my friends and a really good song comes on. You’re not on stage so no one is necessarily watching you. There’s no pressure and no way to mess up. So for me, it’s all about doing what feels natural. And of course, sass is important! Attitude is essential.

What dancer(s) inspire you? 
Beyoncé for obvious reasons. But also Julia Anaya, our manager. She is the coolest person/dancer I know. Her ability to choreograph pieces that are fun to do but also to lead by example is inspiring and I will miss her so much.

What’s your favorite part about dancing and Fusion?
Northwestern is demanding and all-consuming. I think everyone here experiences that. For me, Fusion is an escape from the academic rigor. Everyone on the team is extremely involved and successful in the other things that they do. I think the reason we are able to do so much and excel is that we take the time do something we love just for the sake of loving it. It’s not a resume builder or stepping stone for any career per say. It is just being part of an odd mix of people who strangely fit perfectly together. It’s a family.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
Hopefully I will be living back in LA with the barefoot weather and a better-than-ghostly complexion. Working at a fashion/lifestyle PR firm…eating fish tacos…taking hot yoga…and dancing all night long.