Meet Relay for Life’s VP of Engagement, Sara Hou!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Sara Hou

Age: 22

Hometown: Potomac, MD

Major: Economics

Minors: Business, creative writing

How and why did you get involved in Relay for Life?

I participated in my first Relay during my freshman year at Northwestern. My dad was diagnosed with advanced pancreatic cancer about a month into the school year, and one of my friends introduced me to Relay. I loved the event, especially the Luminaria Ceremony, and I joined the committee my sophomore year. Relay helps me to channel the pain I have endured from losing my dad into productive energy that I use to fight back against cancer. I could list countless reasons for why I Relay. But at the core, I Relay because I believe in the mission of the American Cancer Society—in the idea that we can join forces and work together to prevent cancer, support those going through it, and, ultimately, find a cure.

How much money do you typically raise in a year?

We typically raise over $100,000. Last year, we raised $108,000, and this year, we have an 18%-growth goal of $125,000! It’s exciting!

What is your favorite part about being involved with Relay for Life?

My favorite part about being on Relay is the sense of community that our team has developed. Everyone on Relay has a personal connection to the cause, and we’re all so passionate about the work we’re doing. We all come to Relay for our own individual reasons, but in the end, we’re all Relaying for each other, too. It makes all of our hard work incredibly rewarding.  

What do you think is the most important thing to share with the Northwestern community about this organization?

Relay is for everyone! Cancer touches everyone in some way, whether it’s a family member, a friend, a friend’s relative, or a coworker…the list goes on. We can Relay for ourselves, too. It’s important to understand your own personal risk factors; to know what preventative measures to take and how to take care of yourself. My aunt self-diagnosed her breast cancer at stage 1, and now she’s cancer-free! Education and prevention matter, and they’re relevant to everyone. Cancer doesn’t discriminate. And the money we raise for ACS doesn’t just fund research—it also goes towards patient support services, as well as educational and preventative initiatives. It can benefit all of us.  

Anything else you would like to add?

Our event is coming up on April 29th-30th from 6PM-6AM. Come out and join us on the Norris East Lawn and the Lakefill to hear awesome speakers, honor loved ones who have had cancer, and participate in fun activities planned to raise money for ACS!