Meet Natalie Edell: Music’s Future Mega-CEO

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Natalie Edell
Major: RTVF Class ‘14
Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

What are you involved in on campus?
I was on the varsity tennis team for two years but I recently stopped for my music career.

What’s your favorite thing about Northwestern?
The opportunities it gives its students, especially when you graduate. Also, the networking opportunities. I got an internship at ICM last summer through an NU alum, who was the head of the TV department there.

What’s your favorite type of music?
R&B. Right now, my favorite artist would be Frank Ocean, but overall, it has been Chris Brown, despite his reputation, because he’s an unbelievable performer and artist. His dancing and the way he interacts with the crowd at shows along with his voice, it’s amazing. My favorite song of all time would have to be “So Beautiful” by Musiq SoulChild.

How did you get started in the music industry?
It started my senior year of high school at the Chris Brown, New Boyz concert where I met Greg Johnson, who was the manager for New Boyz. Through him and my tenacity (laughs), New Boyz performed at my 18th birthday party and that was so much fun.  The more I got to be backstage with them, and see how things worked with the manager and the road managers; I was like “This is really interesting.” I should do it this summer just to see if I like it. That summer, I interned with Greg who is now a partner at my company and my mentor. I worked with him everyday, followed him around, and did anything he asked. I got to network and call very cool people such as top record execs and top managers such as Scooter Braun, who is Justin Bieber’s manager.  I also went to industry parties and the BET Radio Remote where I got to meet top artists. I was just like, “This is unbelievable.” I just knew that this is what I wanted to do.

What is your company, 18LoveMusic, about?
The basic idea of my company and how it came about was that artists these days don’t necessarily want to sign to labels because of 360 deals. Basically, once they sign a record deal, the money they make is taken from them and they only get small percentages. So I was like I want to create an independent artist movement where artists have more of a voice and a say. My concept is that I help independent artists, help them gain a fan base through social media. This way, they can thrive on their own, and won’t need a record label for their career. If they want to sign to a label, then at least it will give them the option to decide.  
So my dad, who’s my partner, and I came up with this concept (which should be out in about 90 days). It’s an online competition for independent artists. You go to the website, upload your music to your genre, and you get fans to go on and vote and listen to your song. The more plays you get, and the more votes you get, it puts you in the running for the main tournament. We also have an 18LoveMusic radio station, similar to Pandora. So the more times your song is played the more of a chance you have for it to get put on the radio station and basically another way to gain you an audience.  Fans will be able to create their own playlists as well. For the final tournament, we’ll pick the top 18 songs. You can go on the website, or get the 18LoveMusic mobile app. The 18 songs will be paired up and you will listen to 30 seconds of each song, and check which one you like the best. The song with the most votes wins the tournament. We’ll fly them out to LA, shoot the music video to their winning song, and put them in a studio with the top producer. They will have the chance to become the next 18Love Music artist!

What are your goals for the future of the company?
Making a lot of money would be a plus (laughs). Having like 100 to 200 thousand subscribers to 18Love Music’s website would be amazing, but I’m hoping to get into the millions.  I really want to be able to help independent artists everywhere. I’m also working with reality TV producers right now so I’m hoping it’d be a successful TV show. It would bring in a huge audience, and show what independent artists have to go through. I want to make this a legit movement. Independent artist movement. I want it to be a worldwide phenomenon.

If you want to learn more about 18LoveMusic and its artists, be sure to check out the website 18lovemusic.com