Meet Campus Celebrity, Jessica Barrett!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: Jessica Barrett

Year: Junior

Hometown: Hinsdale, Illinois

Major: Learning and Organizational Change

Years involved in Habitat: About 7

Leadership Position for Habitat: Vice president, former break trip coordinator

HC: How did you get involved in Habitat for Humanity? 

The first thing that I ever did with Habitat was go on a service trip to Guatemala with a local church group.  My friend and I were the only kids going, and we joined our moms and other adults from the area on the week-long trip.  We spent our time building two homes at two different sites and got to see what life was like in that area of the world.  After we returned home, I knew that I would continue to volunteer with Habitat as I entered high school and, later, when I came to Northwestern.  One interesting difference between building in Guatemala and here in the States is that we used cinder blocks and mortar to build the house in Guatemala whereas we use wood, nails, and plastic siding here in the states.

HC: Can you tell me about the Habitat trip coming up over winter break? 

This winter break Habitat is going to an affiliate just outside of New Orleans!  I have never personally been to this location, but everyone always has a great time when we go there. The trip, like most break trips, lasts throughout the first week of winter break and there will be ten students heading down to volunteer and spend the week together.

HC: What’s the most memorable trip that you’ve gone on with Northwestern’s Habitat for Humanity? 

The winter break of my freshman year I signed up with my best friend to go to Sea Island Habitat in South Carolina, and I had such an amazing experience!  We didn’t work on building one house, but rather we worked on the foundations of three or four lots throughout the week.  It was so much digging!  I loved getting to know the other students on the trip and the Habitat employees who were with us throughout the week.  When we weren’t volunteering, we able to explore the Charleston area which was also great!  On a side note, a high school classmate of mine volunteered at the same sight during her spring break, so I was able to see how our work progressed to become homes for deserving families just a few months later. 

HC: Why do you recommend going on a trip with Habitat for Humanity? 

I recommend going on a trip (or a one-day weekend build) with Habitat because, apart from being a blast, it really is an eye-opening experience.  Habitat requires its homeowners to perform ‘sweat equity’ hours, so many times you are working alongside the family whose house you are building.  It is a great way to see firsthand how much the affordable housing provides for them and how much their house will change their lives.  The families who are working towards their own Habitat house put a lot of time, effort, and money to be able to have affordable, decent housing–they are very deserving of the home they will be receiving!  Building with Habitat is a fun way to give back, to meet other like-minded students, travel, and no previous experience is required.

HC: What advice do you have for students interested in going on a trip with Habitat?  

Reach out to anyone involved with Habitat, myself included, because we love to talk about it!  If you are considering a trip, keep your eyes open for our spring break trip applications next quarter and apply.  We should be releasing trip details early on in the winter.  If a whole week seems like too big of a commitment, sign up to go on a day-build where you essentially are driven back and forth to a local affiliate and volunteer with them for the day.  The best way to stay up-to-date with these opportunities is to join our listserve through our website.  If you want to learn more about what Habitat is and does, we are hosting a homeowner to come speak about their experience on January 22.

HC: What else are you involved in on campus?  

NU Heights, Greek life (I’m a Recruitment Counselor), Alpha Kappa Psi, Homecoming, and Supplies for Dreams. 

HC: Where do you see yourself after graduation? 

I wish I knew!

HC: When you were younger, what was your dream job? 

To be a high school algebra teacher.

Kristin Mathuny

Northwestern

Northwestern sophomore; journalism major, integrated marketing certificate, sociology minor.