Meet APhi’s VP of Marketing, Jennie Dopf!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Monday, October 12th, kicked off the start of Alpha Phi’s Heart Health Week – a week dedicated to raising awareness and money for the Alpha Phi Foundation. We talked to Jennie Dopf, the Vice President of Marketing for Alpha Phi, for a behind-the-scenes look, as well as why APhi is rallying for women’s health. 

What are your biggest duties as VP of Marketing?

The biggest part of my job is planning and overseeing our philanthropies—Heart Health Week, Red Dress Gala and Mud Olympics. Other than that, I also plan Parents’ Weekend & events with our alumnae in addition to designing our merchandise.

Tell me a little bit about your philanthropy, the Alpha Phi Foundation.

The Alpha Phi Foundation benefits women’s heart health & cardiac research. Heart disease is the #1 killer of women in America, but so much of the research done on heart health is focused on men, which is messed up! Women have different biology, different lifestyles and therefore different risk factors, so that research doesn’t apply to us in many ways. The thing about heart disease is that it’s primarily a disease of lifestyle and is usually preventable by eating a healthy diet and getting enough exercise. APhi is all about women’s empowerment, and taking control of your health is a huge part of that.

There are so many great events happening this week! How did plan all of them?

I won’t lie, getting a treadmill to The Rock was not easy. But after calling a bunch of sports equipment retailers and being told I was crazy, one place finally let us rent a treadmill from them for a few hours. We plugged it in in University Hall and if people ran on it for 30 seconds we gave them a dark chocolate heart. We thought it would be a good way to spread awareness about our philanthropy as well as our other events happening later in the week—a bunch of classes at Pure Barre on Wednesday (check our Facebook event for the schedule!), a free yoga class in Norris taught by one of our members, Jenna, who is a certified yoga instructor, and a profit share with Doordash, which is kind of like Postmates. If you use our code, AlphaPhiNU, you get 7 dollars off and 3 dollars go to the Alpha Phi Foundation!

What’s the event you’re looking most forward to?

I’m definitely most excited about the yoga class! Jenna is an amazing teacher & her yoga playlist is on point.

Favorite way to stay healthy?

Yoga for sure!

Find your zen (and the complete schedule for this week) by going to the Facebook event!