Meet 30 Before 30 Campus Cutie: James Keane!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Name: James Keane 
Age: 22
Major: Learning and Organizational Change
Hometown: East Grand Rapids, Michigan

Her Campus: What kind of things are you involved in on campus?

James Keane: I’m so lucky for the opportunity to serve as Co-Chair of Marketing and Media for NUDM, and as Co-President of F&F Marketing, NU’s student marketing agency. I love the creative energy of marketing—I have a lot of fun with it. I’ve also been a Catalyst counselor for three years, and a brother in Phi Delta Theta, both of which are close to my heart. 

HC: Can you tell us a little bit about 30 before 30 and your role in DM?

JK: Yes! 30 Before 30 is a one-day campaign on Wednesday of this week. An anonymous donor generously offered to make a $5,000 donation to NUDM if we can raise $30,000, 30 days before the 30-hour Marathon. It’s a lot to ask, but we believe the NU community can rise to the challenge.

M&M oversees all graphic design, social media, content creation, media outreach, and campus communication on behalf of NUDM. Kalli Koukounas and I couldn’t do it without our awesome 60-person committee! We work at a fast pace, and we essentially have to know everything going on with NUDM at all times. It’s quite the ride. 

HC: Do you have any serious plans for the future?

JK: Not yet! I’m interviewing with companies right now, which is exciting. No idea where I’ll land, but out of school I’d love to end up in Chicago, Boston, or California. And ideally, I’d love to work for a creatively-charged company.

HC: What is your favorite trait in another person?

JK: Charisma. People who have that magnetic aura of charm following them around everywhere really fascinate me. They’re usually happy, optimistic, and upbeat people. They can usually light up a room, inspire people to do things, and make people’s days. Life’s too short not to surround yourself with people like that. 

HC: How do you like to spend your weekends?

JK: Most days I’m hardly home at all, because my days can be crazy with my campus involvement. So when I do have free time, I prioritize spending time with my roommates, who are three of my closest friends. Hanging out with them, watching movies, and playing Settlers of Catan (which I’m terrible at) are simple pleasures, but I really cherish that time I can spend with them. 

HC: What do you look for in a significant other?

JK: There’s honestly nothing sexier than a girl who can hold her own in intellectual conversations. God, I’m such a nerd, and I guess that confirms I’m at the right school. But kindness, care, career drive, and goofiness are pluses too. Also weirdly, a good singing voice makes you instantly more attractive to me.