The Lowdown With Liv: Glee’s Winter Premiere

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

For many, this Thursday, Jan. 24, was not just another night at the Deuce, as it marked the return of our favorite cheesy show choir. And no, it’s not the Barden Bellas. Glee returned with its winter premiere, “Sadie Hawkins,” after taking a hiatus following its Dec. 13 Christmas episode, once again treating loyal viewers (and the poor residents of Elder 2L) with their weekly dose of corny.

While the quick recap at the beginning of the episode was helpful, it failed to remind viewers of the breakups and complicated relationships that were featured in the shows’ last few episodes. So after a few small heart attacks (Blaine’s cheating on Kurt…again?), I finally remembered who was still intact as a couple (which happens to be no one).  And while I was happy that Kurt seems to be moving on, the following scene featuring a myriad of strangely dressed drama students (including Kurt’s new love interest, nonetheless) singing a slow and uncomfortable version of Sir Mix-A-Lot’s “Baby Got Back” left me and my floor-mates utterly confused (seriously guys, I’m sorry. Glee’s not usually this weird.)

But after a commercial break and some apologies it seemed we were back on track. Rachel is madly in love with some guy she just met, who happened to sleep with her rival (sound familiar?), Puck is his extremely sexual but still morally intact bad-boy self, and Kitty, like all William McKinley High School head cheerleaders who have come before her, is a scheming self-titled “bitch” with a nasal singing voice. Business carries on as usual.

But not quite. In the past, all of the LGBT characters on the show have fallen for characters with the same sexual orientation (see: Blaine and Kurt, Santana and Brittany). But this strange winter premiere featured some unusual crushes and awkward situations, as Tina falls for Blaine and Blaine crushes on Sam. No word yet on how this unconventional love triangle will progress (if at all).

And in a typical Hollywood manner, it seems as if the eliminated New Directions may still get the chance to compete (as one would hope, since Glee otherwise has little purpose). It appears that Sam’s brain isn’t as small as his lips are big, as he discovered that the Warblers have been using steroids, which would cause them to be disqualified and thus let the New Directions continue to compete. How [pitch] perfect.

Olivia Bahou

Northwestern

Liv is a junior majoring in journalism at Northwestern University who hopes to pursue a career in magazine writing. Her interest include fashion, Pure Barre, Chai tea lattes, professional tennis and anything related to Italy, where she studied abroad. She loves being the CC for Her Campus Northwestern and looks forward to what the future has in store!