Last Minute Mother’s Day Gift Ideas

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

In case the ever-present pink flowery displays in shops and stores throughout downtown Evanston haven’t reminded you, Mother’s Day is coming up this Sunday! Celebrating everything your mom has done for you can be hard—especially if you aren’t in the lucky group of people who live nearby or can go home for the weekend to celebrate. If midterms have kept you bogged down and you haven’t had a chance to buy a gift yet, don’t worry! Here are some inexpensive, easy ideas to help you remind your mom you love her on her special day.

1. Flowers
Price: $30+

A surprise bouquet of flowers at the door is a great way to surprise your mom and show her that you’re thinking of her all the way from Evanston! With websites like 1800flowers.com or proflowers.com, or through a florist that delivers in your hometown, a surprise bouquet in a beautiful vase won’t fail to put a smile on your mom’s face. To save money—flowers can get pricey fast—have them delivered on Friday or Saturday; most florists charge extra on Mother’s Day.

2. Baked Goods
Price: $15+

Nothing says Mother’s Day like a relaxing breakfast in bed! Mother’s Day brunch is a time-honored tradition, but can get a little crowded and tends to feel rushed. Call a local bakery and find out if they can deliver baked goods on Sunday morning, or ask a sibling or your dad to pick a preorder up for you. Or, to save money, if you have a kitchen, make cookies, brownies, muffins, or other treats and mail them home. What a sweet surprise!

3. Coupon book Price:
Free (or what you choose to spend on craft supplies)

Grow up the age-old childhood tradition of making a coupon book for holidays! Offer your mom the ability to trade in coupons for taking the car, helping out around the house, or whatever she might need. Over the summer, when things are hot, she’ll appreciate it for sure. And with websites that have adorable templates, you can’t go wrong!

4. DIY
Price: craft supplies

Love to craft? Find a cute product online and make it! It’ll turn out adorable, and it’s more personal because you can tailor it to what your mom wants, needs, and loves. Craftgawker.com has a Mother’s Day section with great ideas if you’re looking for some inspiration!

5. Gift card
Price: your choice (base it off of the venue)

Surprise your mom with a gift card to somewhere she can treat herself. This is fun because you can tailor it to her favorite places, and it’s easy to do from far away! Treat her to time at a spa or salon if you’re willing to spend a little extra money, or a meal at her favorite restaurant if you don’t want something so expensive.

6. Northwestern gear
Price: $10-$50

Especially if you’re a freshman and your parents want to support your school, this is a great idea. Send home a mug, keyring, sweatshirt, or car sticker and give your mom some love from Northwestern!

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.