This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Getting some freebies from HerCampus is always super fun, especially when it’s things that I find myself loving. This spring’s razors and shaving cream were definitely a huge plus, but I was a little bit skeptical at first of the Innisfree Cica Balm, one of the products of Jeju Island-based Korean cosmetic brand.

I had absolutely no idea what “cica balm” is, or bija seed oil, which the product advertises as including. After a week of using it, though, I’ve realized that I absolutely love this product. My skin is softer and more even than its been in months after two weeks. Maybe it’s just the power of suggestion, but my acne seems to be dissipating, too.

After doing a bit of research on what exactly is in this “cica balm,” here are a few reasons why I’m loving it, and why you might want to stock up on these samples

It has anti-inflammatory powers

I couldn’t find much information about “bija seed” when I tried to do research on this product, but here’s what I did find – it acts as a  great anti-inflammatory. For irritated, red or acne-prone skin, soothing products seem pretty important.

It calms breakouts

According to the reviews of this product (and also me), this product is great for helping soothe breakouts. It goes hand in hand with being anti-inflammatory.

It has Centella asiatica

A bit more research exists surrounding this than the bija seed. Centella asiatica has been described by experts as a possible cure-all plant, and has been tested for treating everything from leprosy to anxiety. The jury still seems to be out on the full benefits of the plant, but I’m definitely a fan.

Image and Information from PubMed Central

Legend has it

According to the Innis free website, legend has it that tigers would roll around in Centella Asiatica, the plant which cica balm comes from, to heal their wounds after battle. You can’t beat foolproof info like that.

Margo Milanowski

Northwestern '22

TBD