The Hunger Games Hype Hits Northwestern

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

On the first day of spring quarter classes two Northwestern Collegiettes ™  emerge from University Hall. They giggle as they walk down they steps and they go their separate ways. They take their three middle fingers, press them their lips, and then raise them in the air. They erupt into laughter and bound off to their next class.

To some this may seem like a strange ritual, but to most students the explanation behind this goodbye is clear.  The Hunger Games phenomenon is sweeping Northwestern. Whether they attended the midnight premiere over spring break or saw it with friends after returning to campus, tons of students here and around the country have seen and are talking about the movie adaptation of The Hunger Games.

The film centers on the post-apocalyptic nation of Panem, a nation made up of 12 Districts ruled by the ruthless and wealthy Capitol.  Each year, the Districts must each send one teenage boy and girl to compete in televised battle to death called the Hunger Games.  The film’s main character is Katniss Everdeen, a girl from impoverished District 12 who volunteers to take the place of her younger sister in the Games.

The Hunger Games raked in $155 million in its opening weekend. Film critics have compared the phenomenon surrounding the film to Twilight-esque proportions. Although both franchises feature a popular love triangle, Northwestern students seem to agree that The Hunger Games is very different in a good way.

“I like the fact that Katniss is the main character in The Hunger Games but she’s not just some helpless girl in love,” said Weinberg student Anna Schlessinger. “She fights, stands up for what she believes in, and tries to protect her family. She’s a real action hero.”

This strong female character definitely drew Northwestern students to the movie theatre after returning to campus Sunday night.  A packed 9:30 pm showing featured students from all over campus.

“I ran into tons of people I knew,” said freshman Marianna Cooper. “I had to go see it with my friends as soon as I got back to school. Everybody is talking about The Hunger Games and I can’t be left out.”

Northwestern students are just a part of The Hunger Games giant fan base nationwide, some of which dressed up as teenage warriors for the midnight premiere or wallpapered their bedrooms with Katniss Everdeen posters.  Whether you are an avid fan or are still waiting to see the movie for the first time, there is one phrase you should learn–the most famous The Hunger Games reference, “May the odds be ever in your favor.”

Emma Tyler

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo