How to Survive A Horror Movie

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

With a genre that typically relies on gore and predictable scare tactics, it is hard to elevate a horror movie and give the audience something it has never seen before. Well, Jordan Peele of Key & Peele decided to tackle this challenge with his directorial debut, Get Out.

Peele, who lists The Stepford Wives as one of his favorite scary movies, wanted to apply the concept behind that film and use it to explain race relations in America. While Ida Levin’s book turned movie describes what happens when the fear of feminism causes women to be turned into robots, Peele’s flick instead shows what happens when liberal racism grows within a society. So, although Peele does employ suspenseful music and blood to frighten the audience, the real fear stems from the realization that we might unintentionally speak and act just like evil characters in the film.

To prepare for this new take on a terrorizing genre,  let’s look at some typical mistakes that hopefully Chris, the main character in Get Out, does not make so he can last until the final fade to black.

Never investigate an unexpected noise.

If something goes bump in the night when it’s not supposed to, leave it alone and run as fast as possible in the other direction.

Do not leave the police station.

Characters always seem to give up when a police officer tells them there is nothing he can do to stop an irrational fear. If that is the case, either sit in that police station all night or act suspicious enough to be placed in a holding cell. Either way, the monster is most likely not going to show up there.

Ignore your friend’s request to split up.

Splitting up is never a good strategic decision. It is a way for your friend to sacrifice you and save herself. Always stay together.

Don’t trust the new person in town.

If strange events start occurring immediately after new people move in, chances are they are the cause. Possibly stop by with some baked goods to get on their good side, and then keep an eye on them. Cardinal rule: keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.

Never stay home alone.

Nothing good ever happens to characters when they are alone at night! Stay with a friend. If she think you are getting too clingy, take a random European trip. Fingers crossed the evil spirit is not willing to travel to another continent to torment you.

Don’t be the comedic relief best friend.

One liners can only keep an audience entertained for so long. If a character is constantly making crude, unnecessary jokes, most likely he will be gone by the second half of the movie.

Carry a suitable weapon.

A random piece of metal that you find while tussling with the bad guy is not sufficient! Always be prepared for a possible attack even if you think you are safe. You can never be too sure.

Now, check out the trailer for Get Out below, and be sure to see the free advanced screening on Thursday, February 9th at 7pm.

Image source: imdb.com 

Ariana is a Los Angeles native who is obsessed with fashion, celebrities, music, and food. She is a journalism student in Medill at Northwestern University who enjoys reading fashion and entertainment blogs and magazines. Ariana's favorite things to do are travel, explore Los Angeles, discover new music groups, and of course watch Gilmore Girls on Netflix. Ariana loves writing and sharing her experiences with you and hopes you enjoy reading her stories.