How to Keep Your Love Life Ablaze This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

No one ever calls winter the season of love and for good reason. The short, gloomy days and frostbite-inducing weather is not exactly the most conducive to a cheery disposition, and no one likes to talk or flirt with a grouch. It certainly doesn’t help that most women gain five to seven pounds in the winter months, according to Lawrence J. Cheskin, MD, founder and director of the Johns Hopkins Weight Management Center, firstly for insulation and but also because you wouldn’t notice an extra inch or two under 12 layers of knit. And when you’re not feeling confident, you’re most likely to take it out on your guy or not go out searching for one. And with everyone hurrying home to the hearth, no one’s out scouting for friends these days. So what’s a girl a to do?

All the Single Ladies:

Remember the good old Christmas song, “Baby, It’s Cold Outside?” Use the winter weather to your advantage and invite your crush over. While you guys might go on an outdoorsy date during the summer months, this would be a good chance to do something even more intimate like a movie marathon over some hot chocolate. Since most guys would be forced to take their exercising indoors, you’re also more likely to meet guys you never would during the summer in the gym so hit those treadmills to keep the seven pounds off and maybe land a serendipitous encounter! Besides, with everyone bundled up, you can be fairly confident that if a guy shows interest in you, it is because of your personality and not the low cut cami you’re wearing.

All the Taken Sweethearts:

If you’ve been in a relationship for quite some time, you’ve probably been to every restaurant and bowling alley available to you near Evanston, so winter would provide you with some new activities to do like ice skating or snowball fights where you might discover a whole new side to your guy. If you’re a couple that likes to fill your quality time with active dates, this would be a good time to slow down and catch up over home-cooked dinners. And who says winter isn’t sexy? All those 12 layers of knit would make for some good strip poker…