HC Northwestern Staff Winter Pick-Me-Ups

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

In the midst of dreary winter weather, Her Campus Northwestern collegiettes™find comfort in the little things.  Whether it’s in the joy of looking down at spring pastels splayed hopefully on their nails or adding a pop of color to the monotonous grays of their winter wardrobe, our staffers are bringing warmth to this somber season.  To brighten up your winter weather blues, take a look at our go-to winter pick-me-ups.

Favorite fashion perk:

1.  “It’s still cold outside but I’m breaking out the pastel nail polishes and loving them. It’s all about the sorbet-inspired colors this spring! I was personally inspired by Jordan almonds and bought ‘For Audrey’ by China Glaze a few weeks ago. It’s the perfect Tiffany’s blue and it makes me smile every time I look down at my hands.”

Christine Noh, Fashion and Beauty Section Editor

2.  “I’m really into small hints of color during the winter, especially since I wear black a lot. A pop of colored eye shadow is my go-to makeup look. Urban Decay’s palette is perfect and not too over-the-top.”

–Elizabeth Freda, Former Contributing Writer

3.  “I love this pinky melony lipstick— it makes me feel cheery on a cold winter day!”

–Kylie Gilbert, Campus Correspondent

Favorite healthy habit:

1.  “I’m crazy about tea right now! Currently at my apartment we have about 10 or 12 different flavors. My two favorites are peppermint and pomegranate. Both of these are a tasty, low-calorie way to warm myself up and calm down after a busy, chilly day of classes.”

–Amanda Oppold, Social Media Director

2.  “Playing Just Dance on the Wii! Although it might not be the same as an actual workout in the gym, it works just as well, especially on those days where you just don’t feel like going out into the cold.”

–Maria Fernandez-Davila, Contributing Writer

3.  “I’m really into hummus and veggies in the winter. I know it’s more of a summer-y food, but I think that’s why I like it. In the depths of winter I can still get something with a little freshness and a little crunch.”

–Ceri Roberts, Contributing Writer

Favorite entertainment guilty-pleasure:

1.  “I’m a huge fan of Private Practice. The beach scenes are a definite pick-me-up in the winter!”

–Macaela MacKenzie, Public Relations Department Head

2.  “Winter’s a mellow season, and I like my music to be consistent with that. But listening to Pandora keeps my mellow music exciting and introduces me to new songs to love. Lately, I’ve been listening to Guster Pandora, taking me back to the beautiful, sunny Dillo Day we had in 2010.”

–Casey Geraldo, Campus Correspondent

3.  “Northwestern Men’s Basketball is my favorite thing to watch this winter. I’m honestly a super fan and this is totally our year. I spend a lot of time either sitting on the floor of my dorm room anxiously watching the away games on TV or cheering for the Wildcats at Welsh-Ryan Arena when they are at home. “

–Emma Tyler, Contributing Writer

Images from (in order of appearance):

Casey Geraldo

Northwestern

Casey Geraldo is a junior at Northwestern University. She is journalism major, with a broadcast concentration, and a history minor.Casey coaches gymnastics, and in her spare time, she is usually babysitting, watching TV, eating candy and ice cream or spending time with the people she loves.Follow Casey on Twitter! @caseygeraldo