A Guide to Nail Care in Evanston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

In my Consumer Insight class this past fall, we were each asked to identify a personal consumer fetish: some item or service that we either couldn’t stand or couldn’t live without. Taking the risk of sounding like the world’s biggest brat, I said ‘manicures.’ For me, there’s nothing as beautiful as a smooth, shiny nail. Metallic or opaque, essie or OPI, classic French or crazy sparkles, I’m sold. From the time I walk in and almost pass out from a hazy chemical intoxication to the mini-massage as I dry my hands under one of those absurd air machines, I’m on cloud 9.
So, when winter is insanely, bitingly freezing and your skin is dry and your cuticles are red, who can you look to around Northwestern for a half-hour of replenishing physical and emotional power? HC went around town to identify our leading nail ladies, the fine polish artists of Evanston.

Low Budget, Plenty of time?
Try Pivot Point. I hope you’re adventurous and can accept something under perfection. I sure can for a polish change that costs less than $3. Or a manicure/pedicure for just over $15. On any day of the week. Plus, they’ll give you free fancy coffee and you’ll feel like you’re in a high-end salon – not a beauty school. Though the nail techs may seem a bit nervous, they are being graded so they will try their hardest to do a good job. It’s a no guarantee place but certainly top value for a low budget college girl.

Medium Budget, Medium Time?
Sure, we also have our average run-of-the-mill Asian-lady-whispering-about-your-nails-and-checking-her-cell-phone places around here. There’s Fashion Nails III or Serenity. I personally prefer Serenity. It’s quieter there and I’ve generally received better service from them. They seem to care a little, but they cost a couple dollars more too, if you really want to price grub. Both have wide selections of the standard polishes while Serenity displays the newest lines and seems to have the polishes more clearly organized.

Blank Check? Spa getaway?
Looking for something to put on the credit card mom and pop sponsor? Want a super-treat? Go to Nail Bar or Bien Assorti if you’re looking for an upscale version of what you’ll get at the two places in the ‘medium’ category. Great for gifts, sisterhood outings, or when mom’s in town.

There are outskirt places that I haven’t tried and I don’t know about, but I wanted to start off with the common basic info that anyone looking for something close, quick, and NU-approved. There’s Technicolour and T-Top down on Davis near the post office, past Bennison’s. There are also about a half-dozen day spa and hair salons that also offer nail services typically by appointment only. 

In order to get the best aggregate information from all of you, I started to put together this interactive map… Please add your ratings and comments to each of the locations as you go! 

Monica is a sophomore at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. She spent her early years growing up in a small town in Minnesota, but spent the last half of her life in Seoul, South Korea where she developed a city girl love for good food finds and fashion. Journalism has been a major part of her life, but she can also be found relaxing with a cup of coffee, watching movies, and spending time with loved ones. Though she has a tough exterior, Monica is actually a romantic who loves the power of words, the importance of strength in any endeavor, and who always wears her heart on her sleeve.