The Freshman Guide To Frat Parties

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Stick with your friends
This is the most important rule for frat parties.  Yes, being off the hook from your parents and discovering your newfound college independence can be exciting, but going to a place like this alone is never a good idea.  Especially as a freshman during fall quarter. Look out for each other and don’t put a guy above your good girl friends, because it is often the friends you make now that will last you through your college years.

Don’t go overboard with themed parties
There are going to be a variety of themes throughout the year from white trash parties to even sluttier varieties.  It can be incredibly fun to dress up for these, but please don’t take this as an excuse to show off your newest leopard print lingerie from Victoria’s Secret.  Looking sexy for guys is not worth being the talk of every girl in the room.  Keep in mind that if you’re party hopping it may be best to go with outfits that will work anywhere…no one wants to look like white trash at a prep school themed party.

Watch your drink
While I don’t think Northwestern has a problem with this, girls at every school should always be aware of roofies. From other college parties, I know that these mysterious pills do exist and guys will use them. Don’t pick up your drink again if you put it down. Always go to the bar to get your drink poured in front of you. As for the punch, well I’ve never had a problem – but be cautious.

Watch how much you drink
Every year, people hear of the girl who had to be picked up in an ambulance or was throwing up everywhere in the frat.  Please don’t be that girl. If a frat brother is trying to make you take shots every 2 seconds, firmly say no when you’ve had enough.  And remember, in most cases it is physically impossible to keep up with these guys. Being slightly sober is way better than being a sloppy mess.

Beware of the creepers
As a freshman girl, you have to be particularly on your guard for those creepy guys trying to take advantage of you, whether you’re drunk or not.  If a guy invites you to have a beer in his room, he might not necessarily be trying to get to know your personality.  College opens up guys to a world of no consequences and no strings attached. If a really cute guy asks you to come drink in his room alone, it’s fine to say yes if hooking up with him is what you want, but don’t get your hopes up for a relationship if you don’t want to end up hurt.

Frat boys do gossip
They can be worse than girls. If you decide to hook up with a certified manwhore, don’t be surprised when you’re getting catcalls from his fraternity brothers or random girls know all the details of your night. Unfortunately, you open yourself up to gossip with every guy you hook up with. Classier guys will keep it to themselves, but sometimes it’s hard to make this distinction at the start of freshman year.

Don’t walk barefoot. Ever.
Have you felt how hard it is to walk around the chapter rooms yet? Yeah, that’s not a good thing. Most likely it’s dried soda or alcohol all over the floor, but we really don’t know…or want to know.   I think it goes without saying that fraternity house bathrooms are a beast of their own.  Try to hold it in if you can.

Don’t stick to just one frat. 
I think this is one of the biggest mistakes freshmen make. You find your favorite boys on campus and you never go to another frat again. Or, even worse, you think you found the “cool” frat on campus and refuse to be seen anywhere else. There isn’t one frat that is known as the best on campus and besides, who wants to go to just one frat’s date parties or formals when you can go to them all? Branch out and get to know as many guys as you can.  Believe me, there’s at least one cute guy in every frat.

Beware of getting the fraternity in trouble
Taking pictures in a fraternity house’s chapter room can lead to them getting in serious trouble so blur out beer cans before you post on Facebook or try to take pictures before you head to the party.  (You’ll look better at the beginning of the night anyway!) Also, try not to hang out outside the house or else you’ll be sure to get yelled at.  Stay as low key as possible and don’t bring unnecessary attention to the party and you’ll stay on all the guys’ good sides.

STAY CLASSY!
I can’t stress this enough. Pictures are taken, and you want these pictures to be something you’re ok with in the morning. If you get the feeling that what you’re doing or who you’re doing something with is wrong while drunk, run. There’s no way it will seem better in the morning sober.

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.