Freshman Firsts with Kylie: Winter in Evanston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

I did it.  Spring break is just around the corner and I can officially say goodbye to that long, black, ugly Northface coat.  And stop losing the darn thing because it looks the same as every other girl’s on this campus. (I would say goodbye Ugg boots…but I don’t think I’m ready to part with those gems just yet.)

I really can’t bash the coat too much, though.  Despite its lack of general visual appeal, it helped me get through my first winter in the windy city.  Sure I’m from New Jersey and have dealt with winters similar to these all my life, but I’ve never experienced wind quite like this. 

A word of advice? Even when you think you’ll be able to manage just fine, don’t go out without a hat and gloves from November through March if you like having both your ears and all ten fingers.

Living up north proved to have its pros and cons.  While walks to CVS for necessities were less than amusing, I could easily dash across the street in my skirt and heels to whatever event was taking place on a Saturday-or…err Monday?-night.  Unfortunately for some living down south campus, shuttles were a necessity for frequenting the parties up north.  I also wondered who thought to put the sorority and fraternity houses on opposite ends of the campus? Cruel joke perhaps?

Quite frankly, I’m ready for spring.

I fell in love with Northwestern when I came here last April wearing just a hoodie, and can’t wait to retire the winter gear and see everyone with a little more energy and a little less clothing (not like that!) once again.  After several long months of winter and hibernation, I think we’re all ready to come out of hiding.

I can picture it already…reading on the rocks along the lake, playing volleyball on the beach, and not having to know the campus shuttle schedule by heart. 

All I have to say is see ya next year winter…I don’t think I’ll miss you all that much.    

Kylie Gilbert

Northwestern

Kylie Gilbert is a senior Journalism major and French minor at Northwestern University. She joined HC as a freshman as a contributing writer and has been campus correspondent since her sophomore year. When she isn't writing, online shopping, or reading fashion magazines, she loves watching The Mindy Project, Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother and everything on Bravo.
Monica is a sophomore at Northwestern University's Medill School of Journalism. She spent her early years growing up in a small town in Minnesota, but spent the last half of her life in Seoul, South Korea where she developed a city girl love for good food finds and fashion. Journalism has been a major part of her life, but she can also be found relaxing with a cup of coffee, watching movies, and spending time with loved ones. Though she has a tough exterior, Monica is actually a romantic who loves the power of words, the importance of strength in any endeavor, and who always wears her heart on her sleeve.