This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

With its beautiful foliage and brisk weather, autumn is one of the most beloved seasons. There’s nothing better than wearing a cozy sweater, enjoying a warm drink and burning a pumpkin candle on a crisp fall day. However, my favorite part about this time of year is updating my skincare routine. The cooler temperature is a welcome respite from summer’s scorching heat, but it can also have negative consequences for our skin. It’s important to adjust our skincare habits in accordance with the changing weather, so here are four tips to ensure that the transition is smooth. 

Moisturizing is key

The air is drier in fall, and combined with the colder temperatures and stronger winds, the environment can cause skin to get excessively dry. Therefore, it can be helpful to use a more moisturizing cleanser and a thicker moisturizer.

Avoid excessively hot baths and showers

As the temperature drops, we want the water to be warmer when we take showers and baths. Plus, enjoying cozy baths is one of the best parts about fall! However, using excessively hot water can exacerbate the drying effects that autumn weather has on our skin. It is best to use moderately warm water and/or follow up with a rich moisturizer. It’s also beneficial to use hydrating bath bombs, which has the added bonus of being a fun experience! 

Continue to wear SPF

It’s not as hot and sunny in autumn as it is during summer, but it is still imperative to wear sunscreen every day. UV rays can cause damage no matter the weather, so it is recommended by the American Academy of Dermatology to wear at least SPF 30 every day.

Exfoliate regularly

Exfoliating gets rid of dead skin cells, which can build up on dry skin and make it difficult to moisturize. Gentle but effective exfoliation is key to minimize irritation and keep skin smooth and healthy. 

As we enjoy all that autumn has to offer, it’s also important to update our skincare routine. Making a few simple changes can lead to healthier skin throughout the colder months. 

Divya Bhardwaj

Northwestern '25

Divya is a first year at Northwestern's Medill School of Journalism. She loves to read, travel, and go on adventures with friends.