This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

Over the summer I saw a MØ concert. It was at a small, intimate venue and the crowd was mostly adults. I thought I wasn’t going to know any of the songs, but as soon as MØ hit the stage I was dancing the entire night and singing along. She is most famously known for her collaboration with Major Lazer, Lean On and her song with Justin Bieber, Cold Water, but her own songs are even better than these overplayed pop tunes. At the concert it was all about her. She took control of the stage and captivated the audience by running into the audience and crowd surfing. I was genuinely surprised with how great of a performer she was and she carried the entire show herself.

MØ just released her new album Forever Neverland on October 19, and I was lucky enough to hear some of her new tunes at the concert. Usually when an artist plays new music the audience reaction isn’t the best, but people were loving the new songs. My favorite song she played is called Blur, which you can find on her new album. This song starts with a simple chord progression that sound similar to the Pixies song Where is my Mind. Her vocals then come in with a soft melody that compliments the electric guitar perfectly. The song quickly builds in the pre-chorus where the guitar part cuts out and it is all about her voice piercing through. The next part transitions into a techno-alternative-edm feeling beat. This song makes you feel nostalgic at parts, while also making you want to get up and dance.

Her song Way Down represents a completely different style of MØ yet her unique sound still shines through. This song reminds me of the artist Santigold with the melodic flute trills adding the sound of an Asian flute. MØ loves to collaborate with Diplo, and if you’re a Diplo fan you will love her song Sun In Our Eyes. This song is super summery and cheery and definitely something you want to jam out to in the car with your windows rolled down.

These are just a few of my favorite songs, but the rest of her album is definitely worth checking out. Her other songs feature collaborations with Charli XCX and Empress of, two talented and empowered female artists. In this album MØ has complete control over her artistry and it feels very representative of who she is as a musician.

Image Credit: Consequence of Soundculledculture.comBillboard

Emily Norfolk

Northwestern '21

Emily Norfolk loves to write about silly everyday amusements. She often gets an idea in her head and cannot let go of it, but that is okay because she just rolls with it. She is constantly thinking of the next story to tell and on which platform. Emily is a lover of multimedia and the digital age. She tells everyone that we are living in a cashless society and to keep up with the trends. Trends and trendsetting are her thing, she wishes she was an IG influencer because she loves vlogging.