Definitive Ranking of the Netflix Rom-Coms You Love to Hate

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Northwestern chapter.

From 13 Going on 30 to Crazy Rich Asians, I have seen my fair share of romantic comedies over the years. I would definitely say I’m an avid fan of this movie genre, and I am always looking for new rom-coms to watch. 

Recently, I have found myself turning to Netflix for my rom-com fix. With the rise of streaming platforms, Netflix has been a pioneer in creating original content. One of their most popular genres is rom-coms, though not all of them have been critically acclaimed. Some of these films have become the subject of jokes and memes, yet I still find them to be thoroughly entertaining.

After viewing much of Netflix’s rom-com catalog, here is my ranking of the top 5 guilty pleasures:

5. Tall Girl

One of Netflix’s most recent releases, Tall Girl follows (you guessed it) a 6-foot-1 “tall girl” named Jodi and the insecurities she faces in high school due to her height. Instead of embracing her model height, Jodi slouches to avoid attention and fears being made fun of. When Swedish exchange student Stig joins Jodi’s class, she decides to embrace her appearance and win him over. Tall Girl has all the typical high school movie staples, including a love triangle and an intimidating mean girl. While Jodi seems to have first-world problems, we can all relate to insecurities, and it is inspiring to watch her finally accept her appearance.

4. Sierra Burgess is a Loser

Like Tall GirlSierra Burgess is a Loser also addresses insecurities with one’s physical appearance. Sierra is an intelligent, witty high school student who doesn’t believe she fits the traditional beauty standards. When Jamey, played by Noah Centineo (swoon!), asks beautiful mean girl Veronica for her number, she gives him Sierra’s number as a joke. Jamey begins texting Sierra, thinking it is Veronica, leading to a virtual romance under false pretenses. Although the movie is cringeworthy at times, Sierra’s journey to self-acceptance is truly inspiring and emotional to watch. 

3. The Perfect Date

Noah Centineo is back in another Netflix Original! This time, Centineo plays Brooks Rattigan, a high school senior who dreams of getting into Yale. To afford college tuition, he creates an app where users pay him to serve as a stand-in boyfriend. While Brooks can be selfish at times, Laura Marano’s performance as Celia Lieberman, Brooks’s love interest, truly stands out and carries the movie along. Although the film’s plot runs thin at points, it is entertaining to watch the lengths Brooks goes to in order to afford college tuition (#relatable). 

2. A Christmas Prince

With the holiday season approaching, A Christmas Prince is the perfect watch for this time of year. Just before Christmas, young journalist Amber Moore is sent to the foreign nation of Aldovia to cover the playboy prince Richard, who is set to take the throne. While investigating Richard, Amber falls for him while trying to keep her journalist identity a secret. Although A Christmas Prince is far from realistic, the ridiculous plot points make the film even more engaging and comical. The film is not meant to be taken seriously, and it is definitely an enjoyable watch, especially during the holiday season. I also highly recommend the sequel, A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding.

1. The Kissing Booth

Based on the best-selling book written by a 15-year-old (yep, you read that right), The Kissing Booth is one of the most infamous Netflix Originals. The movie follows Elle and her best friend Lee. To keep their friendship, they have a set of rules, including not dating each other’s relatives. When Elle falls for Lee’s handsome older brother Noah, drama ensues as they try to keep their relationship secret from Lee. With a Rotten Tomatoes score of 17%, the movie’s plot is predictable and filled with clichés. However, the characters are endearing, and the film never fails to entertain with cheesy dialogue and cute romantic moments. Despite criticisms, The Kissing Booth was a commercial success and definitely one of the most talked about Netflix rom-coms, making it a must-watch.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy and Tumblr

Jessie Chaiet

Northwestern '23

Jessie Chaiet is a senior from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, studying Journalism and Economics at Northwestern University. In her free time, she loves to go to the gym, keep up with the latest pop culture news and curate Spotify playlists.